Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak price jump for 8x10 320TXP

Re: Kodak price jump for 8x10 320TXP

My recent pictures, from the last five years, are (at least to me) proof in silver that Tri-X Pan is not required to make good photographs. And as many of you know, I come from Rochester and shot for Kodak from 1984-2010. I used TXP for all my personal work from 1981 or so and for a great deal of industrial photography on the job. in 2010 I tested and chose Ilford FP4+ and prefer it now. The changeover wasn't difficult. The pictures look as good or better (to me anyway).

So here's a word from a longtime loyalist. if Kodak's price turns you off, just find another film. There are still enough choices that you'll find one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Methinks Kodak is exhibiting a level of desperation so great that it has shot itself in the foot.
    Sal, the shot is our foot. For Kodak the sheet product line is a minor concern.

Probably a second rate manager is in command of all that.

I've a guess about what a 1st class manager would do in the LF segment, and IMHO this is close to what Ilford is doing and what it was done with paper.

I'm pretty confident that sheet market allows for a long term business. A new generation of photographers/artists will engage LF, rediscovering that aesthetics and crafting. But those managers are short term minded, ignoring what they are destroying, this is painful.

See the Portra 400 8x10 price we have today in the EU. (Cheaper in the USA)

305€ per 10 sheets, taxes included. This is $38 per shot. This is x5 more expensive (per surface) than rolls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	177133

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    See the Portra 400 8x10 price we have today in the EU. (Cheaper in the USA)

305€ per 10 sheets, taxes included. This is $38 per shot. This is x5 more expensive (per surface) than rolls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	177133
    Yikes!

I reluctantly shoot coloration with DSLR. I vastly prefer B&W movies and stills.

BHPhoto has Kodak 320TXP 8x10 / 10 sheets at $91.95 now

True

Why is it lower now? After reading the first post I would assume the price would have stayed the same or gone up.

At Freestyle it's $89.99

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Why is it lower now?...
    I don't know, and I'm not going to ask Henry Posner either. No point bringing up something that might cause it to rise again.

Reality check. Kodak is manufacturing and selling as much T Max 400 sheet film as they have the capability to produce. Although demand destruction has caused many of us to opt out as consumers for Kodak sheet film, there are obviously many others that are still buying it . Furthermore, the price of Kodak sheet film will cycle through price increases until a hard stop in sales will take place. I chose to look at the bright side. Kodak Aleris is obviously pleased at the product sales and is likely to keep manufacturing it. I also like more choices than fewer ones so I continue to buy sheet film which should be around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Reality check. Kodak is manufacturing and selling as much T Max 400 sheet film as they have the capability to produce...
    I find that highly unlikely. Doing so would require multiple shifts over many days each week. By all accounts, intermittent coating events with smaller emulsion makes are what's been done to accommodate the shrunken film market. What is your source for that claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    ...Kodak Aleris is obviously pleased at the product sales and is likely to keep manufacturing it...
    Kodak Alaris manufactures no film. Eastman Kodak does, in its Rochester Building 38. Kodak Alaris markets and distributes the film.