Thread: Schulze & Billerbeck, Goerlitz Euryplan 270mm f7.2

Schulze & Billerbeck, Goerlitz Euryplan 270mm f7.2

I have recently acquired a Shulze & Billerbeck Euryplan lens in barrel. Prior to purchasing it I did a bit of research and although I was unable to find much I did determine that the Euryplan was a type of double anastigmat. Since receiving the lens, which is in excellent condition, I have found more info about this type of optic, some describing it as a plasmat, some as a symmetrical, and some as a double anastigmat. I'm confused as to what this lens is. I've removed the front and rear elements but cannot get the glass out of the brass mounts.

Although they originated elsewhere earlier, the date that Shulze and Billerbeck was operating in Gorlitz was between 1910 and 1916.

I've mounted the lens on a board and when some 5x7 film arrives I'll be able to test it out. I'll also have to mount the Packard shutter I purchased for it.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

loujon

Re: Schulze & Billerbeck, Goerlitz Euryplan 270mm f7.2

Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    I have recently acquired a Shulze & Billerbeck Euryplan lens. Prior to purchasing it I did a bit of research and although I was unable to find much I did determine that the Euryplan was a type of double anastigmat. Since receiving the lens, which is in excellent condition, I have found more info about this type of optic, some describing it as a plasmat, some as a symmetrical, and some as a double anastigmat. I'm confused as to what this lens is. I've removed the front and rear elements but cannot get the glass out of the brass mounts.

Although they originated elsewhere earlier, the date that Shulze and Billerbeck was operating in Gorlitz was between 1910 and 1916.

I've mounted the lens on a board and when some 5x7 film arrives I'll be able to test it out.

All that double anastigmat means is both cells are corrected for use alone or each cell has stigmatic corrections when used singly and does NOT denote an optical design. The Plasmat design can be "double anastigmat, the Dagor design and it's clones and the double Gaussian design can be a double anastigmat. To what degree the individual cells are correcting astigmatism is anybodies guess.

FYI- Shulze and Billerbeck was taken over by Hugo Meyers and they continued to produce some of the designs that Shulze and Billerbeck where making. Look here http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyer_3.html & you'll find one Euryplan Design because
    S&B had at least 2-3 different optical designs w/ the Euryplan name.

I have a nice Hugo Meyer a nice #7 Euryplan 320 f6.5 that has Dopple Anastigmat on the barrel and it is a Plasmat design and one past owner had it coated and boy what a nice lens.

I hadn't thought that it might be a convertible but after checking it is 270mm with front and back elements, 380 with front only and 508 with rear only. It is a series #5.

Shulze & Billerbeck Euryplan 270mm f7.2 by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shulze & Billerbeck Euryplan 270mm f7.2.jpg  
    Last edited by John Earley; 12-Apr-2018 at 08:41.