Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Scanning Slides

Re: Scanning Slides

I have basics down. I started with film almost 35 years ago. Scanned thousands of 35mm before switching to digital. Now I am back. This shot just happened to be a bad one and I was curious to see if there is/was a way to salvage it. I got close, but hard to get blood from a turnip as someone stated. Given that, I am not perfect, nor expect to be an award winning photographer however, I am not a beginner. I agree that this scene is not well suited for slide film. The colorneg and bw I took came out much better.

As I stated earlier, I appreciate all comments.

Steven,

I used an Epson V700 before moving to some of my pro scanners and I can tell you that you are being challenged because darker portions on a slide is what gives the consumer level scanners the most challenge. I don't want to spark another scanner debate but you will get much better shadow detail with a great deal of less headache if you simply used a scanner that was capable of resolving the shadows properly. If you know someone with a pro scanner, have them scan your challenging slides and let Epson take care of majority of the well exposed images.

Pali

The purpose of scanning is to faithfully reproduce the image that is being scanned. One scanned, you can manipulate the image in LR/PS. They are two separate processes. How closely do your scans relate to the original image?

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    The purpose of scanning is to faithfully reproduce the image that is being scanned. One scanned, you can manipulate the image in LR/PS. They are two separate processes. How closely do your scans relate to the original image?
    As a raw image with gamma at 2.2 similar but not as good in dark areas. I have not tried creating a file that is not a raw file from scanner. I was considering paying money to have the image scanned with a drum scanner at the camera place I go to in Tempe and see how much better if any it is from the v850. Also for my other shots that are well exposed. Sorta create a benchmark if you will.

I own a Howtek drum scanner and there is no question in my mind but that a drum scanner in good condition will give far better results than any consumer scanner. However, those who own a full frame DSLR or mirrorless camera can come very close to the results of a drum scanner by digitizing their slides by copying with the camera. The effective size in mp of most 35mm color slides maxes out at around 20 mp. Some high resolution FF sensors are capable of twice as much details as there is in a scan, 36-50 mp, and with plenty of dynamic range. For best results, however, you will need a high quality lens optimized for 1:1.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    I used an Epson V700 before moving to some of my pro scanners and I can tell you that you are being challenged because darker portions on a slide is what gives the consumer level scanners the most challenge.
    Pali
    Last edited by sanking; 14-Apr-2018 at 12:45.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon