Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exposing Fuji Provia 100

Re: Exposing Fuji Provia 100

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    I agree. You can learn how to expose it even without 35mm roll tests. Once you know how it reacts, you can forget about metering and just, well, meter the scene. That film is like an obedient horse - goes to the left when you need it, to the right when you like it, even straight ahead when you want it.
    On the contrary, the worst thing is to ask others, how they "adjust" their metered results. What the heck you care about others' spot meter and their metering? Do you meter with their exposure meters? Your question is just adding another variable to your own metering! Do some bracketing on your scene and soon you will get the feel for your exposure meter and your exposure metering. That's all that matters.
    I only care in as much as those with experience, can often times shorten the process by not reinventing the wheel. I do agree that in the end it is my decision on how to expose, but like anything knowing how your tool works/responds gives you the information to make informed decisions.

I regulary shoot Provia in 6x4.5 and almost always use incident metering. It very seldom fails.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I regulary shoot Provia in 6x4.5 and almost always use incident metering. It very seldom fails.
    This never fails if subject is uniformly illuminated, but if you have sky in the scene and it is 4 stops over your subject it will fail for sure. Some landscape Velvia/Provia shots will require metering well sky/clouds/terrain and using the proper graded ND.

Incident metering may work very nice, but one must know when it won't do it well, or how to correct the reading in high DR scenes...

Drew Wiley

Why all the complication? It's all just about proper metering skills. I shot Provia for two decades and NEVER bracketed - can't afford to with 8X10 film! I don't
    even own any ND grads. But I never botched an exposure; and outdoor terrain is my cup of tea. Yes, I use a spotmeter; but I never botched Kodachromes either back when I only owned an early Pentax with an external CDS averaging meter. Its all a matter of familiarity with your chosen meter. Practice with
    less expensive roll film until it becomes instinctive, and remember that meters periodically need recalibration, about once a decade with mine.

+1000...

Back in the day, if the image maker cannot nail the exposure on color transparency film in one sheet, that image maker is not qualified to be exposing large sheets of color transparency film. As previously mentioned, cost per processed sheet of 8x10 color transparency film was about $20 per sheet. At this expense, there is NO margin for bracketing or experimenting, exposure is correct on that single sheet of film.

To achieve this means exposing a lot of color transparency film in smaller formats with fully manual metering until metering and exposure skills have been learned and mastered enough to assure one exposure results in one finished print.

That is the way it once was.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Why all the complication? It's all just about proper metering skills. I shot Provia for two decades and NEVER bracketed - can't afford to with 8X10 film! I don't
    even own any ND grads. But I never botched an exposure; and outdoor terrain is my cup of tea. Yes, I use a spotmeter; but I never botched Kodachromes either back when I only owned an early Pentax with an external CDS averaging meter. Its all a matter of familiarity with your chosen meter. Practice with
    less expensive roll film until it becomes instinctive, and remember that meters periodically need recalibration, about once a decade with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Drew, if you read well the posts bracketing is recommended for a test roll, to learn how sky/clouds/etc looks at +1, +2, +3, so one can acquire a criterion to predict well the result, and not having to use bracketing with sheets.

Drew Wiley

Thank you, Pere. Yes, I do that too when first testing any new film.