Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hasselblad chimney as a loupe on 4x5 LF field camera.

Re: Hasselblad chimney as a loupe on 4x5 LF field camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Randy, you are certainly correct. But the Hasselblad chimney finder will suit the OP's needs quite well, I think. I used one (to focus a Hasselblad) for many years when accuracy was critical. It doesn't know what groundglass it's looking at...
    Yep, I already wrote I use a Mamiya C33 Chimney when i want to run all over a 11x14 GG. It's similar to Hassy but has plastic feet.

But it takes me 3 different grain focusers to get enlarging done. All different and sometimes i decide the Peak is not the best for me in that print.

I focus like I shoot a rifle. The sight goes in a figure 8. After a while, I time the trigger.

I use an RB67 chimney finder for everything - 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

It is hard to get into the corners or near the edge with a big finder or loupe. I always found a small loupe to be better. A 6X 35mm loupe is my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    It is hard to get into the corners or near the edge with a big finder or loupe. I always found a small loupe to be better. A 6X 35mm loupe is my preference.
    Do you use a ground glass with the corners cut? Or a full glass so you can see the corners?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

With my eyes losing their capability from age and a scare dead center of the right pupil from rust 35 years ago, even with glasses I have to be so far away from the screen it does me no good. Without glasses it is just a blur. For me anyway, the loupe works miracles for me. Bummer needing extra stuff, but it works and wasn't all that expensive and I can use on lightboard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Do you use a ground glass with the corners cut? Or a full glass so you can see the corners?
    Corners barely clipped. Its only to let the air in and out as you focus but I have seen some that were clipped way more than needed. Th point I was making is that a big loupe or camera finder used as a loupe won’t get as near to the edge or corner as a smaller loupe. It might get you a bigger faster view of the center but overall when using movements you can’t really check where you need with a big loupe or finder. It won’t get close to the edge.

As someone who has horrible vision even with lens implants I'd rather not see a bit of the edge than not see the middle all. I usea a loupe. And the bigger square focusing hoods will get into the corners fairly well - because they aren't round