Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Outlet questions

Re: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Outlet questions

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Unless you insisting on GFCI, you could hack a lamp (the one you clap your hands to) and hook up your safety light/s....and without touching any strings.

Those GFCI thingys are not as great as I expected. I had a refridge hooked up to it (in garage) and it turned out to be too sensitive and it would shut off the refridge. It took a pro to trouble shoot this madness. Just sharing....

Les
    In new construction, all receptacles in a garage must be on a GFCI circuit EXCEPT a dedicated outlet for a major appliance such as a freezer or refrigerator.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Les

Rick, at the time I was getting the garage build, the GFCI requirement only specified the bedrooms (and that was v. fresh requirement). My refridge was doing well, being hooked up to GFCI outlet for many years (10?) and something went ker-plunk
    and it stopped. I was able to hook it up to a conventional outlet and all is good.

Les

Before installing GFCI, what you should look is if the housing of the safelights is metal or plastic. Since it is metal housing, I think there is no need for 3-wire. I think this was well explained by other members. Also about the toaster.
    Also, I am not sure if rewiring a house is necessary here. But if you are confident about it, then choose a licensed electrician for the rewiring, as it can be huge.
    Once you fix it, have a regular check. And also if it ever trip try not to just reset the GFCI, but to find the problem, as there might be any unintended path to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSmith View Post
    Before installing GFCI, what you should look is if the housing of the safelights is metal or plastic. Since it is metal housing, I think there is no need for 3-wire. I think this was well explained by other members. Also about the toaster.
    Also, I am not sure if rewiring a house is necessary here. But if you are confident about it, then choose a licensed electrician for the rewiring, as it can be huge.
    Once you fix it, have a regular check. And also if it ever trip try not to just reset the GFCI, but to find the problem, as there might be any unintended path to the ground.
    GFCI circuits are already installed in the darkroom and no need for any rewiring the house!
    It is 5 Kodak Model C metal safelights, original 2 wires, no ground and non polarized plug. All cords are pretty stiff and wish to change them.
    My questions was, do I still have the GFCI protection from a no ground plug and if it is better to rewire in 3 wires plug. Answer look yes and that 2 wires cord are ok.
    I start changing the old cords for new cords with polarized plug. Already mounted standard lamp cords from Home Depot.
    I just need to respect the polarized plug, connecting correctly NEUTRAL, wider blade, ribbed wire on the silver screw.

Thanks all for your contribution.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    Do I need a 3 prongs plug to have the protection from the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Outlet?
    No.

The GFCI outlet compares the amount of current flowing in the two wires.

If those values differ it decides a fault exists and opens the circuit.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I still wonder why Kodak changed to 3 wire. It would seem that with a metal body safelight a 3 wire plug with ground connected to the body would be better. If something happened within the light to short the hot wire to the metal body the CB would trip. With an ungrounded connection the body would be hot and you could get shocked if you touched it. Maybe a GFCI is sensitive enough to trip with an ungrounded body and the hot wire shorted to the body. Enough leakage through the light mounting system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    I still wonder why Kodak changed to 3 wire. It would seem that with a metal body safelight a 3 wire plug with ground connected to the body would be better. If something happened within the light to short the hot wire to the metal body the CB would trip. With an ungrounded connection the body would be hot and you could get shocked if you touched it. Maybe a GFCI is sensitive enough to trip with an ungrounded body and the hot wire shorted to the body. Enough leakage through the light mounting system.
    They may have gone from a metal socket to a plastic socket.

Eric Woodbury

A wild guess is: before GFIs and in an effort to improve electrical safety in industrial environments, some cities wanted everything grounded with the third wire. Duplex outlets in houses were changed to ground, 3-wire types. The house I grew up in was built in 1960 and it only had 2-wire outlets. When 3-wire plugs came along, we had to use "cheaters" everywhere. There's a false sense of security.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    Maybe a GFCI is sensitive enough to trip with an ungrounded body and the hot wire shorted to the body.
    A GFCI is worried about current through a HUMAN body, not a product body.

As I said earlier, the GFCI just compares the amount of current flowing through the two service lines.
    If those are not equal, it detects a fault and opens the circuit.
    It does not care why the two are unequal, only about the fact that they are unequal.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I think everybody is overthinking a safelight.