Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Outlet questions

Re: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Outlet questions

Nothing is guaranteed to be absolutely safe. Instead, safety is a relative matter - some solutions are safer than others.

To protect their constituents, governments often enact safety standards to elevate the overall level of safety, and to reduce the number of events in which people can be harmed.

One such standard is the requirement for GFCIs. Depending on the jurisdiction, GFCIs are typically required in residential bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and outdoor receptacle circuits - basically anywhere a person can simultaneously come in contact with the electrical circuit and water. The objective is to provide a means to detect and quickly trip the circuit if a person inadvertently completes the circuit. The original poster asked about GFCIs in a darkroom - darkrooms are not addressed in the standards where I live, but I chose to have a GFCI on the receptacles on the wet side of my darkroom (not on the dry side). And in my darkroom, the safelights are controlled by a wall-mounted switch on the dry side.

Another safety requirement calls for bringing a ground wire to each receptacle, and using a three-prong plug on appliances. The objective of this is to enhance safety by preventing the metal casing of an appliance from inadvertently being energized if the hot wire touches the case. An alternative way to address the same problem is by 'double insulation' - essentially, using a non-conducting plastic casing on the appliance. The decision to design products with double insulation is a combination of government-driven product safety standards, and individual decisions by manufacturers with guidance from their lawyers and insurance underwriters.

Ultimately, each of us is responsible for our own safety, and for the safety of others in our households. Its easy to dismiss steps to improve safety as excessive and expensive. But if shortcuts are taken, and if someone is injured or killed, that expensive will seem trivial. So it comes down to personal choice, and how much risk are you willing to accept.

Louie is right. Despite the fairly foolproof grounded electrical appliances and GFCIs, someone who works hard at being a fool can circumvent their protection. On the other hand, during a career of working with energized electrical and electronics equipment, I don't remember EVER being shocked as long as I knew what I was dong and was careful. On the other hand, carelessness often zapped me. The best safety device is the human brain.

Eric Woodbury

Wet locations, at least where I live, includes outlets within four feet of an exterior door. This prevents unprotected extension cord use outside.

Be safe.

I looked in past threads, but could not find the answer to my question, so I’m replying on this thread as it most closely relates.

I have set up my darkroom, and one of the outlets in there, closest to the enlarger/work area, and slightly above waist-level height, is the first in its circuit, so it is a GFCI outlet protecting the rest of the outlets downstream. My issue is it has an indicator light which is always on. Fairly faint, but is very noticeable when all other lights are out. Putting electrical tape over it does not extinguish it. I have a couple of options to deal with it, such as installing a GFCI breaker (least favorite option), putting some other cover over it (probably over most/all of the outlet as it also shines through the receptacle holes) or replacing it with a GFCI outlet that does not have an indicator light. This would be my preferred option, but I can’t seem to find one without an indicator light. I’d be interested to hear if anyone has sourced one, or if there is another solution that is as easy as my last 2 options, one of which will likely be implemented. I plan to keep the GFCI in place and the entire circuit protected.

or if there is another solution that is as easy
    How about testing the light with tape over it. Does it really fog your materials?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    How about testing the light with tape over it. Does it really fog your materials?
    Haven’t tested it, and it may not be significant enough to cause fogging, but if I eliminate it easily then I know there is no effect.

The outlets in my bathrooms and garage have GFCI's. If I recall right, there were GFCI type circuit breakers in all the power panels in newer NYC schools.

I always have the Building Dept where I live inspect new electrical work installed by a licensed electrician. It costs an extra $70 or so to file and inspect the work. Well worth it to make sure the electrician doesn't cut corners which has happened. I had one electrician use Home Depot receptacles whose type aren't allowed any more, for years. He had to replace them with an approved type. Why Home Depot is selling unapproved electrical receptacles is beyond me. Something to think about if you do your own work. You might want to buy from an electrical distributor who's up on the local codes. Also, when I eventually sell the house, I'll have Bldg Dept signoffs to prevent holdups in selling the house as violations start popping up when a home inspector goes through the house for the potential buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by WBYonder View Post
    I looked in past threads, but could not find the answer to my question, so I’m replying on this thread as it most closely relates.

I have set up my darkroom, and one of the outlets in there, closest to the enlarger/work area, and slightly above waist-level height, is the first in its circuit, so it is a GFCI outlet protecting the rest of the outlets downstream. My issue is it has an indicator light which is always on. Fairly faint, but is very noticeable when all other lights are out. Putting electrical tape over it does not extinguish it. I have a couple of options to deal with it, such as installing a GFCI breaker (least favorite option), putting some other cover over it (probably over most/all of the outlet as it also shines through the receptacle holes) or replacing it with a GFCI outlet that does not have an indicator light. This would be my preferred option, but I can’t seem to find one without an indicator light. I’d be interested to hear if anyone has sourced one, or if there is another solution that is as easy as my last 2 options, one of which will likely be implemented. I plan to keep the GFCI in place and the entire circuit protected.
    I have GFCIs in my home that only have a single LED that only shines when the GFCI trips. I also have one (used as a power cord) with no LED. Most were purchased in 2008 but at least one a lot later than 2008. That said, I suspect a dab of black silicone or similar on the offending LED would work.

BTW, since you mentioned it, GFCIs can be wired so that downstream outlets are or are not protected. Typically wired so they are, but doesn't hurt to test if you are not the original installer.

Gaffers tape works well to cover that sort of LED. Sometime you need a large piece since the light glows through the plastic housing of the device. But even a faint glow doesn't seem to fog film if it's a few feet away.