Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Closes!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yosemite Closes!

An "atmospheric river" whose perceptible water content is "25 times that of the Mississippi river" according to the NWS has forced the park to close today at 5PM until further notice: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-12810965.php

Thomas

Re: Yosemite Closes!

Yup.
    The Valley is really crowded right now.
    Yesterday it took 4 hours just to drive the loop around the Valley.
    It will be interesting to see how they'll get the place evacuated.
    The storm is supposed to pass sometime Sunday so if there is no calamity things should get back to normal then.
    The big concerns will be washed out culverts closing roads and the possibility of a slide damming the Merced.
    A flood watch is in effect from Yosemite down to Kings Canyon
    Good news is that the snow level is up to 10,000' and the rain is relatively warm, so maybe Tioga will get a shot at an early opening.

The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Good news??? Not if you're a farmer. A heavy warm rain just strips the snow bank of needed melt water in summer. Oh well, Fresno and LA don't need all those swimming pools anyway. Go to the high country to get cool instead. The mosquitoes need feeding.

And you are an authority on babies' bottoms, too?
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Drew Wiley

I do know a thing or two about that snowpack. I grew up there and have cumulatively foot traveled thousands of miles of the high country. I've formally studied and researched both fluvial and glacial geomorphology. And my dad was in charge of the original canal that took water south and started the modern version of Calif water wars (in contrast to the earlier Owens Valley war). So yes, I do know an awful lot about this subject the public does not. Incidentally, John K.'s own father worked on that project too.

My ranger pal in Yosemite informed us that Housekeeping Camp (Camp 16 for us geezers) is under water and the water level is expected to rise another 5'
    Aramark employees must be enjoying a lot of togetherness on the 3rd floor of employee housing!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Extremely high winds forecast for the higher elevations.
    All those dead trees up there are potential widow makers.
    Stay safe!

Tiger Creek near me is up 2 inches and the foot path along Bog Iron Marsh is so muddy you have to go around the sycamore tree to get to the Deer Path. In case anyone needs to know.

Yosemite Valley has been reopened to visitors!