Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

This was last week in High Point, North Carolina. It was in the High Point Museum that had a large display of the old furniture factory. I presume this 11x14 Deardorff studio camera was used to photograph the factory and its products. Btw, the museum has a small display about John Coltrane and in the city there is a statue of him.

[img]A7203081 by blazingshutters, on Flickr[/img]

[img]A7203082 by blazingshutters, on Flickr[/img]

[img]A7203081-2 by blazingshutters, on Flickr[/img]

Re: 11x14 Deardorff Studio Camera

are those cranks factory?

looks like one can focus from the rear with those

that's handy

Randy Moe has one of these.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    are those cranks factory?
    They look like all the cranks/knobs I've used on 11x14 Deardorff studio/commercial cameras. It does look to me like they repainted the standards and knobs/cranks though. They probably where scratched up so to make the camera look bad & more beat then it was. They just look to "perfect" for the condition of the rest of the camera. Which is not bad at all. The camera looks good.

And where'd the lens go...? It probably made its way to a forum member here.

C'mon...the lens is there - that big piece of glass right in front! Oh...just realized that its probably a piece of plexiglass - would never work!

Guilty!

I have one in my shed. I need to get it into this new studio. This one is missing the 2 center frames and 2 additional bellows for 72" of extension. Looks like original bellows.

The rearward wood handle easily tilts the camera 360 degrees. A child can move it. The bottom left handle is a little more work. It lifts the whole camera up and down using bicycle chains you can see and internal and lead counterbalance. Originally the 4" steel tubes could be ordered up to 20 feet tall. Mine came with 13ft and I had to cut to 7.5 ft. Nonetheles with that it can still put the top of the camera at over 10 ft. Or bottom, your choice. Everything locks down tightly.

Full tilts and swing front and rear with the front rise and shift. 8" lensboards. It will not flinch at a 25lb lens as another owner showed me. He put a sandbag in the lens board hole.

Nothing except lensboards interchanges to a V11. Even the back is bigger. I have 5X7, 8X10, 10X12 and of course 11X14 backs. The 11X14 back was reworked by Richard Ritter with his back and bail lift.

This is the camera I prefer to use and why I am selling my Chamonix.

Here is the day I got my new Turner bellows which copy the OE. I was waiting for RR to finish the back. 5X7 back with full extension.

1929 S11 Deardorff by moe.randy, on Flickr

FWIW, I have an 11x14 DearDorff identical to the one shown above. Three sets of bellows.

The stands were originally offered (stock) in 9' (the one I have) and 13'. This, by the way, was the camera that photographed Marilyn Monroe (not mine, of course), with the photographs appearing in the very first Playboy. When I got the camera there was an 8x10 back and a 4x5 reducing back (one of them rotates...) but no 11x14 back. I contacted Jack DearDorff, who finagled the pieces (including a DearDorff ground glass and springs) I needed for the back. We borrowed an 11x14 back from a company that had used them for furniture photography and duplicated that. Measurements have it bang on, and the resulting photographs are gorgeous.

I had to buy the Medical "X-Ray" holders because the wooden ones I have are a bit splintered.

The only lensboard I have adapts Sinar lensboards. I've used it with a lot of lenses (the camera came with a 420mm) and I've used darned near the whole length of the 6 feet of bellows on some photographs.

At this point, sadly, it's sitting in a storage unit.

Mine is no longer in the shed. Peter De Smidt drove 1000 miles round trip to help me assemble it in my new studio.

I already thanked Peter, and I will again.

Thanks, Peter!

I find it fun to use. It takes up 12 sq ft feet of floor space when stored. I raise the camera to the ceiling and put my gear table with filmholders under it.

Only 500 made and most were scrapped long ago.

More info here.

And here, right here on LFPF

How not to move one. Take it apart.
    Tin Can

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Guilty!

This is the camera I prefer to use and why I am selling my Chamonix.

It's impressive, but all in all I'd rather hike with the Chamonix.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!