Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petzval / Dallmeyer (or other) antique lens for glowing SF HALO effects

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Petzval / Dallmeyer (or other) antique lens for glowing SF HALO effects

The Spencer-Portland and Kodak 305 portrait lens along with Graf Variable lenses are my favorites. Is this what you mean by glow?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Morning June Loop October 2015085 spencer portland.jpg   Graf Variable 16 18.jpg   img012.jpg  

For the budget minded - Reinhold's remake of the Wollaston Meniscus is wonderful. The 190mm is great on 4X5.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

My choice is the common affordable Imagon but I don't like the effect of the 'strainer holes' so will only ever use the discs with those closed or the aperture built into the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    The Spencer-Portland and Kodak 305 portrait lens along with Graf Variable lenses are my favorites. Is this what you mean by glow?
    Yes, Jim. This is exactly what I had in mind.
    I saw some images from Jim Galli and also a particular one on the website from Kenneth Lee and also in the thread "post in Galli-Style"... but the ones you attached also are getting me excited.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Oh, some further excellent suggestions.
    Thanks a lot.
    Looking for affordable prices, and taking the links into considerations, the early Wollensak Verito also seems to be in the ball park.

Moogie, this link http://www.galerie-photo.com/soft-fo...rait-flou.html will take you to a magnificent article on soft-focus lenses. It is in French, but at the least you should be able to read the lenses' names and, especially, see what they do in the many example shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Moogie, this link http://www.galerie-photo.com/soft-fo...rait-flou.html will take you to a magnificent article on soft-focus lenses. It is in French, but at the least you should be able to read the lenses' names and, especially, see what they do in the many example shots.
    Chrome instantly translates

Read the whole thing and it was proceeding well until he skipped Cooke, Kodak and a few more.

His dog target was a terrible choice and in the end, we find he shot 35mm which must make a difference.

I did learn some new things!

Thanks Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

After reviewing and reading all the websites and your comments, I went now for 3 lenses.
    If I keep all or sell some again and keep only the best, i will see after a longer testing period.
    That's the good thing with the old lenses that you can test and re-sell for more or less same price.
    1. Wollensak Royal Soft Focus F/4.5 (must be a strange version as I did not find any further info for this lens with 4.5 and it looks more like a Verito).
    In fact I wanted a Verito and later found out it is probably not. Let's see. When it arrives I can send some pictures of it.
    2. Burke & James Ajax Portrait
    3. Modified Velo from Jim Galli

Already looking forward as the delivery to China will be with the help of some colleagues coming from holiday and so on...
    piece by piece...

I looked up the Wollensak Royal Soft Focus lens that just sold on Ebay. Fascinating lens, and one I know nothing about. Now you have me very curious about it. My first thought was that it might be the immediate predecessor of the Verito, but it doesn't resemble anything written about the Bodine lens.

When you have it we'll walk you through how to shine a pen light in and get an idea of it's construction. I think it was a safe buy, if that's the same lens as you have coming. I would have bought it just to find out what it is. Done dumber things than that.

Petzvals are poor as soft focus lenses. Most of us think it was just a marketing play. Petaval's are great for what they do best. Tack sharp center and rapid, beautiful bokeh as the focus range is left.

Interesting that in the ebaay pics that are still up, on the inner rim you read Wollensak Royal Soft Focus Series II No. 4, but on the flange it clearly says; Verito No. 3. Very neat lens, whatever it is.