Thread: Recommended books on shooting with Chamonix 45N-1

Recommended books on shooting with Chamonix 45N-1

Good evening friends!

As I mentioned in another thread, I got a Chamonix 45N-1 and it's been sadly collecting dust because I've been so busy!

Can you help me out with recommended reading on it?

Thank you so much!!!

Re: Recommended books on shooting with Chamonix 45N-1

Since no one is responding here, I'll give my opinions.

First, a Chamonix is just a view camera, so general texts on the use of view cameras will be what you're looking for. You will have to figure out and apply the specifics of your camera to the general info.

The bible for LF users is the Ansel Adams trilogy: "The Camera," "The Negative" and "The Print." The first deals with all types of view cameras and how to use them.

The LF home page, http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ , has a slew of really good articles on using and focusing the view camera. I especially recommend the articles on how to focus the view camera and how to choose the f-stop.

For learning camera movements there are lots of online resources and books. Leslie Stoebl's, "The View Camera" is the bible here. There's a book by Steve Simmons on using the view camera as well, which I've never seen, but is often recommended.

Mostly, you have to take the time and make the effort to do the research and reading and practice you need to get a handle on using a view camera. That said, the basics of metering, setting an exposure and inserting film and making an exposure are simple and you can start shooting without movements, etc. right away.

Later, you can refine your focus technique (really important if you don't want to throw away lots of film...) and master the movements. It's not rocket science, just a lot of info and a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck,

Doremus

Hi Alex

Most of us on here would have started with LF before the onset of the web but since then there's a mass of information available

Yes, Steve Simmons book (to me) literally hit the spot and it's a great place to start, giving everything you need without over-complicating the subject. On the other hand Stoebl's book aka a bible is far larger, weighs a fair amount and was always too technical for me. There's no subject for "learning on the job" to quote an oft used expression

Good luck and regards

Andrew

Hello Alex,
    I started some 40 years ago and learned form the Kodak publication's (Large-Format Photography, Kodak Publication, No. O-18E) and the Sinar handbook. The books of Leslie Stroebel and Steve Simmons are still in use. As is the Kodak Professional Photoguide: https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Profess.../dp/0879857986
    Now there's so much on the internet too, but I like a good book.
    Paul
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

I've got the Steve Simmons book. I found it very easy to understand and always recommend it.

Check out YouTube. There are quite a few large format videos on there.

Take your camera out in the backyard without film and practice movements. The front yard works good too if you don't mind the stares from neighbors.

This is a pretty good video overview of the Chamonix, there are more on YouTube