Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

Re: Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

There are a number of "photographic" tripods with legs made this way including film and video tripods made by Sachtler and many others. These three or four section tripod leg design tends to be more stable, more difficult to jam-get stuck and overall far more rugged and tough in difficult terrain than the single telescopic leg design. Lock down at the set length is often extremely positive with absolutely zero slippage. Some of the surveyor's tripod legs have a solid center section that extends with two outer sections making them seriously stable, tough and really strong.

IMO, aluminum is not a good tripod leg material choice. Materials such as wood, fiberglass and carbon based composites (too expensive IMO) are superior to aluminum. Search on flea-bay and other auction sites will reveal non-photographic tripod legs of very high quality can be had for well under $200, typically in the $100 range. IMO, brands like Gitzo, Manfrotto-Bogen, and others are over priced for what they offer.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by willCut View Post
    It looks like the legs used for theodolite. I have already read someone modified one to put a camera on it.

Drew Wiley

One has to be careful these days modifying a survey tripod. The Chinese have done an excellent job of making look-alike clones of domestic surveyor tripods, and they're showing up all over the place. If the price is too good to be true, it is. The legs slip even after you think they're locked down, the locks themselves fall apart quickly, and the hardware rusts. New - think $200, not in the $50 to $75 range. Besides domestic mfg, make sure it has an ample flat
    platform (not dome-style), then replace the 5/8-11 turnbolt with a captured 3/8-16 one (ala Ries; but a real Ries is preferable).

Surveyor-style tripods are great out in the field. I have one, too. Once you sink the big spiked feet into the ground, they are very secure. On the other hand, they are bulky, usually heavy, tend not to go very high, and using them on surfaces that you don't want to damage is a bit of a pain. I use my lowly aluminum Gitzos much more lately, as I been mainly shooting architecture and in the studio.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Finally, I've just bought a Sinar Pan tilt head.
    Now, I read again all your advices for the tripod.
    First, once my head will be there, I will go to a local shop to try various tripods to be sure about the load, the stability, the height.
    Gitzo or Ries are best of carbon and wood. But There are definitely out of my budget, even used.
    I paid $350.00 for my Ries J100 including Ries double tilt head. It was an older model but in very good shape. I just about stole my A100 being the only bidder. It almost looked new. I forget the price now but the Seller sent me a note saying that he hoped I understood the deal I got. Both were purchased off Ebay.

To get deals you do have to be patient though. It can take months of watching.

From Canada unfortunately it's not so easy to find a Ries; and shipping from US is expensive.
    I've found these used tripods for less than 300USD : Feisol CT3441T, Manfrotto 190CXPRO4, Gitzo 1349 Mk2. What do you think about? The Manfrotto supports the fewer load.
    It's a bit more expensive than a new Berlebach, my favorite :-) but in carbon, lighter

Carbon fiber legs with too many telescopic sections. These might be OK for small film cameras, Digital SLR, Mirrorless. some medium format cameras and similar. They will lack stability due to the number of telescopic sections in their legs. While carbon fiber tripods are the mod-a-go-go current Foto fashion and the are light weight, they do not have the stability and weight needed to keep a view camera stable.

Keep in mind exposures on a view camera (4x5 and up) will tend to be far longer than the typical digital or smaller format film camera. Exposures often fall into the 1/30 second range or much longer. This is one of the many reasons why a flimsy light weight tripod will not do and will cause an enormous amount of grief. At the beginning of the view camera learning curve, it is difficult enough to load film, set up the camera, focus, figure out exposure, stop down the lens, close the shutter, install the film holder and more. Then there is post camera processing and print making.

Consider the travel time, resources involved with making a trip and all involved just to expose a single sheet of film... all to be ruined by a flimsy carbon fiber tripod.

Do seriously consider staying with the tripod legs recommended by others as there is essentially many decades of view camera experience behind those words.

Bernice

From Canada unfortunately it's not so easy to find a Ries; and shipping from US is expensive.
    I've found these used tripods for less than 300USD : Feisol CT3441T, Manfrotto 190CXPRO4, Gitzo 1349 Mk2. What do you think about? The Manfrotto supports the fewer load.
    It's a bit more expensive than a new Berlebach, my favorite :-) but in carbon, lighter

If there is one thing that can seriously ruin a Foto day, a crappy, flimsy usable or stuck tripod.
    Over the decades, this has become a zero tolerance issue.

In comparison, a good stable, rigid, precise movements and legs that lock and stay put with minimal effort is a joy of a tripod to use. This simply contributes much to the joy of view camera image making.

Many view camera folks strive for low weight, but might not consider weight-mass can make all the difference in camera stability and overall image quality....with significantly reduced user grief and frustration with resources involved completely wasted.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Do seriously consider staying with the tripod legs recommended by others as there is essentially many decades of view camera experience behind those words.
    Bernice
    I think I will follow your advice.
    If I can summarize what I've read on this forum and others, Manfrotto 055 series Carbon and Berlebachs are the ones that come often. Gitzos are definitely out of budget.
    In my budget, Berlebachs are the first.
    I have to go to a shop to be sure of the height I need, without central column. I never really used a tripod and I don't know what is the best height to use with a ground glass.
    For Berlebach, I've seen 3 models (I don't need any head special I think, because I will fix the pan tilt Sinar directly on it):
    Report 813, 3 sections with good folded and deployed dimensions
    Report 212, 2 sections, taller folded and shorter deployed than 813
    Report 212 Astronomy, 2 sections, a bit heavier but sturdier than standard Report 212. Could be a good compromise.

If you're out in the field, or doing architecture, it's better to have a taller tripod than just what will put the ground glass at face level on level ground, as you may not always be on level ground. I recently was doing an architectural photo. To get the composition I wanted, I had to be on the side of a hill. I could've really benefited from having a taller tripod.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You have to talk with Ari on this forum who the canadian seller of FLM tripod.

He can answer a lot of your questions and has good advice on his material.