Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

Hello,

Just owner of a Sinar F2, and beginner in large format, I am looking for a tripod.
    The Sinar has a 90mm installed. On the rail, I have the 411.21 clamp, which accepts 1/4 "threads, and has a base of 75 mm. Between the base of the clamp and the center of the ground glass I have 25cm.
    The set is about 4 Kg (9lb). I also have a 6x9 back to put in place the ground glass, which should not change the weight.

As I begin, I want to discover what I like to achieve as photos with this camera: cityscapes and countryside / mountains, architecture and studio a bit (with a 250 mm?).

I am 1,73m (5'6) tall, so it can give some idea of the tripod size I need.

So I'm looking for a tripod, maybe light enough to bring it everywhere, by car or day hike (and more if affinity with it) I have a 50L backpack that I usually use for my hikes in which I could put the Sinar and hang the tripod outside (I already pass skis or snowshoes).

My max budget is about 400 $, tripod + head + plate.

I read a lot on the forums.
    • What is often recommended as a head is the Sinar PanTilt. But it's difficult to find used, and it's not cheap.
    • On the other hand, I often read that it is not advisable to use ball head with large formats, mostly with monorails. What do you think ?
    • Do I need a big ball head or pan-tilt 2-3 axes, or is a leveling head enough?
    • I think a quick fastening plate is essential. What do you think ?
    • What weight should support the tripod, and the head? I think that a minimum of 8 Kg (18lb), or 10Kg (22lb), would be a minimum, to support the room + the manipulations + the insertion of films / change of back + misalignment of the room in some views. What do you think ?

In my budget, in a new tripod (sometimes with head), I have:

Can I be able to have Carbon instead of Alu for this budget (Benro and Sirui), which seems better following forums. Sirui looks better than Benro in general. The Berlebach do not seem so heavy, not more than Alu, but a bit more than Carbon. But they seem sturdy. 2.5 Kg (4.4lb) does not seem so huge. And the folded length also seems good on backpack.

I saw for less than 300$ a used Feisol CT3441T + Giottos mh1300-621: https://bccamera.com/giottos-mh1300-...release-plate/ What do you think? Is the head enough for the Sinar? Would this be a good opportunity?

Thank you

David Schaller

Re: Look for Tripod + head for Sinar F2

Although it’s possible in theory, most of us would not do much backpacking with the F2. As far as your first question, I would recommend an aluminum tripod and a heavy head. I use a Manfrotto 3410 tripod and 410 geared head for my F2. For hiking, I use a field camera and carbon fiber tripod.

It sounds like you will be keeping your camera level. You should consider getting a used Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and mount a quick release panning clamp directly to the tripod. If you find it too time consuming to adjust the legs, you could get a leveling head.

Finding a used carbon fiber Gitzo tripod for $400 should be possible although lately prices seem to be running high.

If you find a used Berlebach tripod with the leveling ball, you may not need a head. It all depends upon how much you plan on tilting the monorail up or down. I used one with a Tachihara this way until I later found a used Ries at a good price. I've found Berlebach tripods quite reasonably priced on the used market. They are really nice tripods if you like wood.

Personally, I much prefer pan/tilt heads for large format. Some of us hate ball heads for large format and some of us love them. Everyone has advice but that's something that you really have to find out for yourself.

Sinar pan/tilt head and a series 5 Gitzo tripod is what I use. You can find the Sinar head used if you look and are patient! Patience is a virtue and a necessity.

If you want to backpack or hike with a Sinar F2, consider replacing the F2 rail clamp with one from a Sinar Norma; the Norma clamp is more compact and makes a surprising difference in packability.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    If you find a used Berlebach tripod with the leveling ball, you may not need a head. It all depends upon how much you plan on tilting the monorail up or down. I used one with a Tachihara this way until I later found a used Ries at a good price. I've found Berlebach tripods quite reasonably priced on the used market. They are really nice tripods if you like wood.

Personally, I much prefer pan/tilt heads for large format. Some of us hate ball heads for large format and some of us love them. Everyone has advice but that's something that you really have to find out for yourself.
    Yes, Berlebach with leveling head is one of my top list. I don't know if the 8 series (863) is enough with only 22lbs of max load. Else, the 2 series (262) supports more load around 33 lbs. I will buy it new, as used is rare.
    Else, if I don't take the leveling head, do you have some advice to add pan/tilt head for berlebach?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    If you want to backpack or hike with a Sinar F2, consider replacing the F2 rail clamp with one from a Sinar Norma; the Norma clamp is more compact and makes a surprising difference in packability.
    Thanks for the idea. I will think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Sinar pan/tilt head and a series 5 Gitzo tripod is what I use. You can find the Sinar head used if you look and are patient! Patience is a virtue and a necessity.
    I'm agree with you about patience, but my I'm eager to learn to use my Sinar :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    It sounds like you will be keeping your camera level. You should consider getting a used Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and mount a quick release panning clamp directly to the tripod. If you find it too time consuming to adjust the legs, you could get a leveling head.
    This is the same kind advice as Alan Gales, and It convinces me about tripod (maybe Berlebach) with leveling head.