Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for custom-made ground glass?

Re: Source for custom-made ground glass?

I have to say, I enjoy my DIY projects and always seem to have at least one going on (just finished a bard door tracker yesterday!). Some of my projects are kind of difficult and require a good bit a patience, knowledge, specialized tools, dexterity, creativity, etc. However, this one is different. As long as you have the glass cut down to size by the person you buy the glass from (most hardware stores will do this for free), it really is a simple, anyone can do it, type of project.

I did screw it up once though. I used 1500 grit the first time I tried, and that was too fine of a grit and didn't make the glass opaque enough. As such, I could see the back of the lens better than I could the projected image through the ground glass. But it was an easy fix. I just reground the same piece of glass with 600 grit and had a perfect ground glass in about 20 additional minutes. That's what makes it so easy to do. Unless you drop it or accidently grind both sides of the glass, all you have to do to fix any problems or imperfections is keep grinding.

In my humble experience, a ground glass (GG) can be ground to be too smooth. An example might be Satin Snow which is so finely surfaced that focusing is difficult because it is too difficult to see the differences due to the depth of the glass. I dearly welcome correction to my opinion. Thank you.

And too coarse. It may in the eye of the beholder.

I have a very course OE 4x5 Linhof GG that is the other way. I like it for its own beauty.

Thanks for the replies. Steve sent an email, very helpful. As much as I’d like to give making my own GG a go, I don’t have the time. I’ll get one of Steve’s, but which one... standard or borosilicate, do people think the latter is worth the premium? I accept there is an element of subjectivity, but on the other hand anything would be better than my current plastic one...

I received my new screen from Steve last week. After installation, I can confirm that it's a complete revelation in comparison to the original screen I was using. Lovely and sharp, exceptionally easy to see the exact focus point, and much brighter. Money well spent in my book, so very happy.

Steve's screens are definitely top notch, I have one for my 4x5 and it's super bright and I think the extra for the boro glass is probably worth it if you travel a lot with your camera, not so much if you're just in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by gphoto View Post
    Steve's screens are definitely top notch, I have one for my 4x5 and it's super bright and I think the extra for the boro glass is probably worth it if you travel a lot with your camera, not so much if you're just in the studio.
    Why? Borosilicate glass, or Pyrex, is good against thermal expansion. A common thing for cookware or labware, but it is not shatterproof or crack proof. So why pay for it for a camera screen?

Borosilicate vs soda lime glass is a whiter glass (better for gauging color cast) and should take a nicer grind because of its greater hardness.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Borosilicate vs soda lime glass is a whiter glass (better for gauging color cast) and should take a nicer grind because of its greater hardness.
    Then why don’t
    Linhof, Sinar, Arca, etc. use it? Considering the cost of their cameras it would have added a negligible amount to the final cost. Especially as Schott was involved in its manufacture!

I could see a benefit to some type of tempered glass but ground float glass works just fine!

Source for custom-made ground glass?

You’d have to ask them.

Btw borosilicate isn’t the same as Pyrex. Pyrex is just one form (Corning’s version, to be absolutely correct) of several different makeups. Sort of like there are many different 100 speed B&W films.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com