Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You and your local Arts Council

You and your local Arts Council

For those who participate in a local area Arts Council or Arts Alliance, I would like to hear from you. Specifically, I would love to know what benefits you feel you receive as an artist or supporter of the arts, what you expect from such an organization, and perhaps what you feel is lacking in your local organization.

I am not talking about photography clubs or interest groups, but local non-profit or city entities that support the visual arts or all forms of art, perhaps your local museum or art center, etc.

My wife and I are working on starting an organization locally and I am doing lots of research on this topic, and thought I would ask the wider audience here who may have a more diverse set of experiences in other areas of the country/world. Thanks for your input. I think this subforum is the most relevant but if not feel free to move elsewhere.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: You and your local Arts Council

If you are not, find an excellent grant writer!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks Vaughn, and yes very true! My wife did an internship with the grant writing staff at our old university and we are working on finding grants for the upcoming year, once the 501c3 is officially formed.

A colleague just drew my attention to a new foundation that has chosen a focus that's highly relevant to me. They are in my community, but their mandate is not limited to my community. I haven't reached out to them yet, but when I do it will be primarily because of their networks. I would like their help in identifying other people with whom I can collaborate, or at least talk to/get to know. There may be funding opportunities, but that's of secondary importance.

In any creative endeavour, regular, real face-to-face interaction with other people who have a similar agenda or goal is crucial. The Internet is not a substitute -- not even close. In my view, creating opportunities for people to come together around shared agendas is something an Arts Council, Arts Alliance or foundation of some kind is well positioned to do.

Locally we have a fading/failing State College SIUC which doesn't reach out much at all. I volunteered to aid the Photography group in any way possible. The college was reaching out for volunteer professors as they can't afford to pay more. I contacted administration but no reply... My Theatre contacts there are both retired.

http://www.carbondalearts.com/ is really aimed at children. I am not active and will not be.

https://www.cedarhurst.org/ is the big local institution funded long ago on a huge estate. I participated in a Print competition. They do offer craft classes.

I know we all know the acronym STEM, which had an A in it for about 2 minutes. STEAM

Right now we are about to make the same mistake we did right after Sputnik which led to all STEM for many, including me.

I applaud your efforts Brian!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    [...] networks. I would like their help in identifying other people with whom I can collaborate, or at least talk to/get to know.

In any creative endeavour, regular, real face-to-face interaction with other people who have a similar agenda or goal is crucial. The Internet is not a substitute -- not even close. In my view, creating opportunities for people to come together around shared agendas is something an Arts Council, Arts Alliance or foundation of some kind is well positioned to do.
    That's what we are missing here and roughly aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    https://www.cedarhurst.org/ is the big local institution funded long ago on a huge estate. I participated in a Print competition. They do offer craft classes.
    Long-term, a serious institution would be amazing. Starting small and trying not to aim too high and falter. Some other local challenges that aren't really relevant for this forum so won't get into but am appreciating the conversation thus far folks.

Do you intend on renting/leasing/owning a facility of any type?

https://humboldtarts.org/
    https://www.redwoodart.us/

The above are two organizations I have been active with, up to about 5 years ago. I moved out of Eureka, and just do not get there often, even though it is only 25 minutes away by car. I was on the Board of the RAA for a year -- then my triplets were born and 'extra' time disappeared. The RAA would have shows wherever we could find space -- vacant stores in town, etc. We finally bought a building after years of fund raising...but that has its own costs. It is a big risk.

Children programs can be a very important part of a program -- involves more of the community, etc. Grants for anything involving kids are more plentiful.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Children programs can be a very important part of a program -- involves more of the community, etc. Grants for anything involving kids are more plentiful.
    I did not know this - a very salient piece of information, thank you!

As for a facility - we have a very tiny space to use related to the gallery I am in but I am dreaming bigger. Many hurdles, as you say, but I am investigating our options.

As a gallery owner on and off for about 20 years, I am always looking to connect with other Artist Groups (not camera clubs) but groups that have physical space and look to work with other communities. I am hoping to form a FB group the would list international organizations of like minded people.
    We were lucky enough to have a relationship with a group very familiar with Vaughn and it was a positive experience for us.

Keep me posted of your ongoing efforts.
    I am going to The Halide Project in Philly next week where we are doing a group back and forth exhibit.

I'm a member of http://challisartscouncil.org/index.html ,but not as involved as I was when I owned a picture framing business next door to the gallery. The arts council has partnered with the chamber of commerce to hire one full time employee and help with maintenance of the gallery that the Arts Council owns. They are really amazing for all that they do for the community and young people, especially considering that this is a town of 900 in a county of 6000 that is almost the size of New Hampshire and the nearest town is sixty miles away.
    Good Luck!
    Thad Gerheim