Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best software for Stitching lots of images

Best software for Stitching lots of images

I'm working with a photographer who is worked to document an interior wall with a Nikon D850. This wall was covered in graffiti over the years and was set to be removed so was being documented. He used a 24mm lens and double polarization on the flash and took photos row by row eventually photographing the entire wall. This ended up with 486 images.

My question is what would possible be the best software to process so many images?

I've been experimenting a bit with some of the available softwares however it is a lot of files and since the wall is uniform in texture sometime it gets confused. Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best software for Stitching lots of images

Tried that a few years ago.

Also a graffiti wall, shot 100 images.

Photoshop and my computer reached a limit and failed.

I broke it down to 20 shiots per. Then tried stitching the new 5.

It did not come out as I envisioned.

Need lots of horizontal overlap and vertical coverage.

Very interested in this project.

Please update.

Photoshop CS6 might probably the tool you are looking for. It can generate 32000 pixels wide panorama output and is able to work in batch. Stitching single panoramas is a breeze.

I should add that we've been using photoshop cc 2018. It works ok for a strip of a few images, so as mentioned by Randy Moe, we will likely put each row together and then line them up. With our hardware-new MacBook Pro and iMac, photoshop can't seem to process even small jpegs we've been using to test if we try to merge them all at once.

I'd suggest looking at Autopano Giga 4 at kolor.com. I use Autopano Pro (Giga's smaller sibling) and have never stitched anything near that large, but I've seen several giga-panos that are HUGE created with Autopano Giga.

I use PTgui which is quite effective. I have many panos that were single row and multi-row that ended up as 2 gig plus files. It isn't very expensive for the professional version.

I've been using Photoshop with very good results.

My largest image is 7GB, 35 images stitched together, each 56MP

Not sure what to recommend though for 486 images not knowing what the vantage point was for the camera. Did the camera move for each shot or was this all taken from one single position ?

Cheers,

Not sure what OP wants.

In my case, a single point rotational Panoramic was NOT what I wanted. That would not work in my limited space. No room to back up. Narrow one-way street.

I wanted and tried to make a city block of 15' high wall art in a strip of stitched images from 100 stills taken side by side parallel to the wall.

It was simply experimental, as most things I do are. Even if I made a single file, how would I print it and exhibit such a thing, which would have been best at 1/6 scale?

Now how long is a Chicago city block? I exceeded the short side by 70' making my 'block' 400' long. http://gapersblock.com/airbags/archi..._chicago_mile/

15' X 400' ft at 1/6th scale becomes 2.5 X 66.6'. A Devil of a print!

I shot a good Nikon P&S in verticle portrait mode every 8' yielding 50% overlap. That's all I know.

I have seen folding pano strips in a gallery. Maybe 5 inches tall. At that point high resolution becomes unnecessary.

I have had excellent results from Microsoft's FREE stitching software, ICE, or Image Composite Editor. It has all kinds of projections to map the stitch. As long as the images were shot properly, it's worked great for me.

Give it a shot, since it's free. That being said, I never did anywhere near that number of images. I would consider what resolution the resultant stitch needs to be. The D850 has massive resolution in just one shot. Assuming about a 25% overlap and a 22x22 grid (484 images, sounds about right), my rough calculation gives the stitched image a resolution of over 10,000 megapixels. I honestly can't imagine you need that kind of resolution...so consider resizing the images to an appropriate pixel size for your planned print/display size.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Microsoft Ice does have the option for orthographic projection, which is what you want. For PTgui, there is not an orthographic choice, at least there wasn't in the versions I used. A workaround is to specify the lens used as having a very high focal length such as 10,000mm.

You can also do this manually, if you want to avoid any geometry manipulation. Line up the stack of images as layers in a file. Pick the most important one as the base layer. Change the blending modes of all of the others to "difference". Turn off the visibility of all layers but the background layer. Turn on the first layer. Move it using the move tool, using the arrow keys at the end to move the layer one pixel at a time. When the overlap turns gray, then then image is aligned as well as possible without transforming. Change the blending mode of the moved layer to "normal". Now move on to the next frame.......rinse.....repeat.

I would try Photoshop first, if you have it. Next, ICE, as it's free.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know