Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating an ICC profile with an IT8 scan with Vuescan

Creating an ICC profile with an IT8 scan with Vuescan

I am experimenting with a few ideas...

Has anyone generated a ICC profile using Vuescan with an IT8 target or any other means? Looking for any info on the capabilities with respect to Vuescan and what it can generate?

Re: Creating an ICC profile with an IT8 scan with Vuescan

I made one. I wet mounted the slide image that came with my V850 directly to dcanner glass and chose slide film scanned at 2400 dpi. Downloaded a reference file from Xrite then using the xrite software that came with scannet selected both files and it made it. But it might be off because I didn't use the film area guide. Funny looking plastic bar you put in calibration area. You typically use it gir scanning 8x10, but should work for 4x5 film mounted to scanner glass directly. I think it tells scanner to use the high res lens.

Anyway it is pretty straight fwd.

VueScan normally reads and writes the ICC profile for the scanner using the file scanner.icc. IT8 targets are included with many scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I made one. I wet mounted the slide image that came with my V850 directly to dcanner glass and chose slide film scanned at 2400 dpi. Downloaded a reference file from Xrite then using the xrite software that came with scannet selected both files and it made it. But it might be off because I didn't use the film area guide. Funny looking plastic bar you put in calibration area. You typically use it gir scanning 8x10, but should work for 4x5 film mounted to scanner glass directly. I think it tells scanner to use the high res lens.

Anyway it is pretty straight fwd.
    Thanks appreciate that, thought I was interested in using vuescan to itself to generate the ICC profile.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincook View Post
    VueScan normally reads and writes the ICC profile for the scanner using the file scanner.icc. IT8 targets are included with many scanners.
    Yeah, that is what I guessed , but I was looking to see exactly what it generated, appreciate the assistance.

If anyone has created a ICC film profile with vuescan that they would be happy to share, I would like to analyse the contents.

Would anyone have an IT8 profile they generated using Vuescan, that they would be happy to send me? Doesn't matter what film it was for, or what scanner, just that it was generated with Vuescan? I would like to extract the contents and see what features of the ICC spec vuescan uses.

I can send you a file. Let me know where

On its way. Dropbox link

There's some good color info at: http://www.lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/#c1_workflows
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    On its way. Dropbox link
    Thanks, unfortunately unless I am mistaken that profile is not made by vuescan, it was created by XRCM which I am guessing is a package from X-Rite?

I was looking for a ICC profile created by vuescan's profiling feature directly.

I attempted to make some profiles with vuescan already, using a pretend target, (don't have the scanner accessible at the moment, on the road...), but I wanted to compare it with some targets correctly produced by vuescan.

From what I can tell the vuescan icc profile, only has simple linear color matrix, and simple gamma adjustment, and that all, but I am curious to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Thanks peter that's worth a read! That sits on top of DCamProf (same developer AFAIK). I am trying to figure out how to best use DCamProf and ICC profiles in the negative inversion software I am working on.

On road as well. O thought I saw a Vuescan profile. If not I will try to make one and send