Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Working in a warm (very warm) darkroom

Re: Working in a warm (very warm) darkroom

If this darkroom is a dedicated feature you might use something like dryer vents directly through the wall.

Another option is a ductless heat pump in the darkroom. Heat pumps also act as air conditioners in warm weather, and they are rather quiet. However, that does not solve the issue of venting chemical fumes--but there can be workarounds to handle that problem.

Keith

I live in a hot climate so I chose to build my darkroom to include a small (2.5kw) split system inverter air-conditioner. Now I work at 24C all year round and the darkroom is the place to be when the inevitable heatwaves hit. The air-con (Panasonic) removes dust and smells with special filters and it has an electronic "zapper" for volatile organics.

The other key decision was to eliminate forced air exchange with the outside world. Conditioned air costs money and blowing it out into the garden made no sense.

What about the chemicals? I use odourless developers - no smells, no fumes; odourless stop bath - no smells, no fumes; and odourless fixer - no smells, no fumes. The air in the darkroom feels fresh, clean, and cool all day.

What about the cost? About $2500 installed but I told myself I'm spending several hundred hours a year in the darkroom and I, er, deserve it. And I reckon I print better when comfortable and not itching to finish early and get out of the place.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Replace the appliance bulb in a small fridge with a safelight. Cold beer saves the day!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I live in central Calif. and two of my dark rooms were in the garage. When I framed the enclosures in one corner of the garage, I also installed a window type AC unit by the door. For air balance I added louver vents made for darkroom use (light tight). The vents let the AC unit do its thing and vent conditioned air out of the room.

Don

I am not not by nature one prone to challenge rules. Rules are rules and I mostly abide them, even when I deem them absurd. HOA's are something that is registered by the neighborhood developer before construction of the first house was laid. Because of that, these rules stand forever. There's always been HOA's I suppose, but now they proliferate. I'm a rea estate agent. My question is, what about "variances"? I've taken a bunch of real estate courses, and know all about variances. but not one thing I've heard about a "variance" in an HOA. That said, if I were an ardent photographer in a place like the desert southwest US, I believe I'd throw caution to the wind and put a window unit in my home darkroom. It's not liek you were putting in a Ham rig and screwing up everuone's TV reception, or putting an "88 Ford up on blocks in the front yard, and an upholstered sofa on the front porch. For Pete's sake, I'd put in my window unit, do my photography, and let the HOA president come after me whenever. What are they going to do? Make you leave your house, and have it repossessed by the HOA? Somehow, I don't think they can do that. Enjoy your darkroom. Damn the torpedoes. HOA's just don't want you to redneck up the neighborhood. They're not to stop you from living.

I realize this is an older thread. That said, the biggest problem I have in PHX is the wash for fiber printing. The tap puts out water in the 80-95 degree range and it really softens the emulsion. I had the cold water line moved inside and think that will help some.

Wow 80-95 is some seriously warm water for FB especially. You're right. In the southeast (NC) it might get 82 or so in the hottest season, and I don't like it at all for washing film and paper. You inspired an idea. I don't know anything about your darkroom space. But let's say it was big enough for something like an ordinary Frigidaire or Hotpoint fridge full of cubitainers or water bottles plumbed in series with the inline water. That fridge would hold a good bit of water like that. now the question is how high you could make the interior temp of the refrigerator. Well.. at least I'm thinking. May be a dumb idea.

I have a 5 gallon pail with a copper coil that I fill with ice and run wash water thru but it can't handle any sot of volume. I have a chiller that powers up when plugged in but I'll need to run a 220 line and then hope it will work as its supposed to. Since most days I want to stay married, lm temporarily not printing from mid July thru mid October. I could probably print color. Hadn't thought about it before. Thanks.

Re HOA's - they can order you to remove stuff not allowed in the CC&R's and if you don't do it they can often place a lien on your property for the cost of removal of the offending stuff. Which can play Hell with your financing.

I usually switch to MF in the summer and run Ilford XP2 C-41. Or use a lot of ice in the Jobo.