Thread: Silica gel packs in film boxes, a no no?

Silica gel packs in film boxes, a no no?

I have a quick newbie question. I'm on the road for a couple of months for work, and staying in one of those extended stay hotels in New Jersey. While here, I brought my 4x5 and a couple of boxes of readyload film. The film is in the fridge, but was opened when I shot a few sheets at Valley Forge. With the weather being so humid in this part of the country, I got some silica gel packets (the small size, about as big as a dime). Is it safe to put one or two of these inside the boxes, or will it dry out the film to the point of making it unusable? And did I goof by refrigerating film after it was opened at room temperature?

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Paul

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I'm not sure how you are using the dessicant packs. Do you want to put them in the fridge with the film?

Anyways, the dessicant will not affect the film emulsion. The only thing that you don't want to do is use the film directly from the fridge, as the cool film will cause a little condensation on it in an extremely humid environment. I would keep color in the fridge, but B&W can be kept at room temperature with no problems.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thanks for the fast response, Brian. Yes, I was considering placing two (very small) packs in the box with the film, and placing both in the fridge. I will be leaving the boxes in the fridge until early sept., when I get to fly home. I was just worried about leaving the boxes of film out, with the huge humidity swings that central NJ has during the summer, as I didn't know whether it would adversely effect the film.

Thanks again, you've put my mind at ease.

Paul

I don't think a little humidity on your film will worry it much. I'd be more concerned about dust being generated as the silica gel moves (and abrades itself) within its little packs. Dust on dry film would be more of an issue than condensation for me.

My opened film pack stay in the fridge for many weeks without any deterioration - no silica get required.

Cheers,

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Humidity by itself, IMO, is not an issue, it going back and forth form humidity to dry, back to humidity, that could give you some grief over time.

Go to Wal-Mart or where ever, and buy a box of heavy duty , freezer quality, zip lock bags. Big enough to keep a box of film in. Refridgerated or not, keep your film in the box, in a ziplock bag. I've done this for years with all my film, and it works great. Inexpensive too.

good luck

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?