Thread: Linhof Master Technika & Quick Release Plate

Linhof Master Technika & Quick Release Plate

I have the Arca-Swiss B1 tripod head ,I would prefer to use a smaller style mounting plate with rubber pad, to protect the leather better when using the body side mounting area on the Linhof Master Technika ,with a 3/8 screw. The 80mm Arca-Swiss plate seems excessive. I bought the 40mm plate with 1/4 inch screw when I purchased the B1 before I owned the linhof camera. Would a redusing bushing be suffient to srew into the camera body in order to use my existing plate. What mounting plate is the most popular with other photograhers when using the Arca-Swiss for Linhof Master Techs ? I have investigated several a/m companys such as RRS ,Kirk etc. but I could not find what I want. The RRS (ReallyRightStuff) plate listed on web site for (Horseman and Linhof field cameras) with the non-twist flange does not seem like it would mate well with the angled edge of Master Technica camera body without causing some damage to the leather or silver body surface when screwed tightly down. Help!

I have the RRS plate for the technika (I have a IV) and it works very well. It is very smooth and locks down tight. While it compresses the leather a tiny bit, it is really resting on the metal. As long as it is tight, it will not move and thus does not abrade the finish. Given that anything that is going to hold tight is going to press on the leather, I think the RRS plate does less harm than anything else. I thought the forward loading of the plate into the clamp was a little strange at first, but now find it works very well.

I used a RRS B52. I am sure it would slightly damage the leather of a new Technika but so will everything else you do with it.... The nice thing is that you can recover it yourself in a few decades. Cameraleather.com sells a perfect replacement covering for only $30 or so - its quality and fit is excellent.

This is an inexpensive solution that works really well--There is a photographer on eBay who goes under the name "fletcher28wu" who sells inexpensive Arca-Swiss-type QR plates that are simple, but well made, and the longer ones have stops that are compatible with my Wimberley C-30 (long) clamp and I'd imagine most of the other clamps (he guarantees compatibility with all A-S type clamps, and he seems to be honest and knowledgable enough to back up that guarantee). The only downside to Robert Fletcher's plates is that they don't have a tapped 1/4"-20 hole like some of the brand-name plates for use on a tripod or bracket that doesn't have a clamp. I've purchased 12 of these plates. E-mail him directly if you want to purchase several in some configuration that he doesn't list on eBay and he's likely to give you a discount (5 plates + 1 free seems to be his m.o.).

On my Tech V, I have a 2" plate on the body and a 4" plate on the bed, each fixed with a screw and a standard 1/4-3/8" bushing made by Hama, and available from B&H. With the long Wimberley clamp, I can slide the camera from the rear plate to the front plate seamlessly for a strong grip and the best balance, or as an ersatz macro rail (obviously not as nice as a geared macro rail, but it works pretty well, once you get the feel for it). The 2 clamps also do not interfere in any way with the operation of the camera or dropping the bed one or two stops.

Typos--"the 2 clamps" should obviously be "the 2 plates."

Also--the 2" and 3" clamps come with a pad that sticks to the plate and protects the camera and makes a better grip. The 4" through 7" plates don't come with the pad, but they have two screws, if your camera (or 35mm telephoto lens) has more than one tripod hole.

Gary

I am using RRS plates on my Linhof Master Technikas together with the Arca-B system. I tryed several solutions, other ballheads, other clamp systems (including Linhof's own), but I havent experienced anything that offer the same quality, rigidity and stability.

My cameras get rough treatment for long periodes. Here is my experience:

A) 1/4 screws can breake, do not use spacers, use plates with 3/8 screws!!!
    B) Leather will dislocate when you tighten the plates - buy spare leather from Linhof (its inexpensive), or apply a thin layer of gaffa tape between plate and leather for protection.
    C) A drop of Loctite threadlocker on screw (non permanent) before mounting the plate.
    D) Use two plates on the camera if you use different lenses, a RRS 22 F on the camera (better stability for lenses from 135-wide), and a long plate such as the RRS 29 C on the bed (better stability for longer lenses). Both plates has antitwist rims.
    E) I leave both plates permanently attached to the camera.

Hopes this helps.
    Regards

I use two Arca style plates made by Kirk Enterprises on my Master, one on the body and one on the bed.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.