Thread: Epson 2450 VueScan - manual focus for scanning 4x5 BW negs?

Epson 2450 VueScan - manual focus for scanning 4x5 BW negs?

I have an old Epson 2450 and recently purchase VueScan professional to scan 4x5 black and white negatives. So far, I like VueScan and have exposure adjusted for some decent results that I can refine in Photoshop. I scan with negative emulsion face down on scanner glass, and anti-newton glass on base side, holding negative flat.

My question is, as follows: If you are a 2450 scanner with VueScan user, can you tell me how you handle focus?

In looking at the VueScan options, I see "Focus" options: Auto>Preview/Scan/Always -- and then Manual (which I havent tried) with .01 increments. Does Epson 2450 really allow focus adjustment? If so, Im thinking that I will test and adjust manual focus, if that will make sharper scans. I need help (spoon feeding please) to do this ...or advise to trust the auto focus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v2-more-Epson2450-VueScanPro.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	176403
    Focus options

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VueScan-manual-focus.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	176402
    Manual focus controls

This has me wondering about the accuracy of my scanner focus and how I can verify and adjust (or use auto if that is effective).

A related question is: how do I turn off sharpening in VueScan? I am saving as uncompressed TIFF's.

VueScan 9.6.07 Professional Edition
    Photoshop PS CS6
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Epson 2450 VueScan - manual focus for scanning 4x5 BW negs?

As far as I am aware, Focus for the Epson is controlled by the height adjustment of the holder. The focus option in the VueScan interface do not do anything if the scanner does not support Focus control. Im my opinion, the software should grab this values out in such cases to make it less confusing.

Scanning the negative on the scanner glass, can trigger the low resolution scan lens and the best option is to raise the negative 3mm above the scanner bed

Ian, thanks. I believe you are right about focus not being user-controlled on 2450. However, I can get 1200 ppl scans with negative on glass. I also agree that most likely I need to raise the film — yet I need to show film edges while avoiding Newton rings. Perhaps anothe piece of anti-newton glass for sandwich?

Also, I’m reading more to turn off sharpening for my tests. If anyone can point me to the “turn off sharpening button” I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    As far as I am aware, Focus for the Epson is controlled by the height adjustment of the holder. The focus option in the VueScan interface do not do anything if the scanner does not support Focus control. Im my opinion, the software should grab this values out in such cases to make it less confusing.

Scanning the negative on the scanner glass, can trigger the low resolution scan lens and the best option is to raise the negative 3mm above the scanner bed
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Unlike the V7xx and V8xx series, the 2450 only has one lens and it is fix focused. I agree with Ian that Ed should gray out that option for scanner models which are fixed-focus because it leads to confusion. The 2450 lens is supposed to be focused at 1 mm off the glass although the true focus point varied a great deal on this older scanner series. Most of my customers find the optimum to be in the 1.5-2.0 mm range, but everyone needs to test for their particular unit.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Doug,

Agreed about the higher focus plane. Back when I used the cheap plastic Epson 4x5 holder, I had to shim it even higher above the scanner glass. I’m going to see if I can find 1mm anr Glass. Also I see some super thin glass.

Many thanks,
    Paul
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Under “Filters” I found “Sharpen” radio button. I already had returned off. Scan still looks sharpened, even with that option deselected — but quite acceptable. That being said, it’s unknown to me if sharpening is taking please - seems so. That being the case it hard to judge focus and adjust.
    Petroleum Oil Pics