Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extending Tradition-Large Format

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Extending Tradition-Large Format

I wanted to let everyone know about a call for work for a gallery in Astoria Oregon, Lightbox Photographic, which is dedicated to photography and only photography. The large format community should take a look at this and the website for the gallery and consider entering. Along with Terry Thompson, John Wimberly and myself we will be judging what I hope will be some wonderful submissions.

Go to the website and look for the call for entries page and find the show. I hope our members will submit. Deadline is April 8th.

http://www.lightbox-photographic.com

Thanks everyone.

Re: Extending Tradition-Large Format

thanks for information
    what about pictures with an electricity-depending step within the process?
    (eg 4x5-film, scanned, inksplasher- enlarged on pictorico OHP then contact- palladium-print)

Hendrik

I think they poorly defined their parameters.

http://lightbox-photographic.com/dow...prospectus.pdf

Hendrik, So long as it was shot on film and then printed in a traditional, alternative method. No ink jet prints. Randy, I'm not sure what you mean? If anyone has questions contact the gallery. You should look at the website and as large format photographers support the cause. You never know I might just select your work as I have been asked to be a juror as well.

As Hendrik's work is acceptable, which includes an ink splatter interneg, good. I quote from the Prospectus, "All images must have been originally shot on Large Format film or plate, “4x5” and larger. (Bold emphasis mine.)
    Analog Photographic printing only, ie. fiber silver gelatin and all the varied Alternative Processes including Wet Plate are eligible."

Only as a prominent example of excellence, Sandy King's current work may be unacceptable, per his Artist Statement and my prior knowledge that he may use digital capture in recent work. That may have changed. I don't assume to speak for Mr. King. http://blogs.clemson.edu/emerituscol...SANDY-KING.pdf

It occurred to me, the limitation to 4X5 film/plate and up excludes much modern analog print work. By definition, contest eligibility is determined by size and capture, but not making throughput all analog. A fine line, that may be unenforceable and invisible on the wall.

Furthermore, as I beat this to death, judging analog prints by digital copy is unfair to the medium. 1000 pixels long side...

I have aided 2 friends, submit to this type of Digital entry judging process. Not photography. Reluctantly I copied their excellent art and down processed it, to very low quality. Yes, they did gain entrance to their chosen contest.

I apologize for my windy and confusing retort. I am well known for starting on one side of a discussion and switching sides, often I don't know from whence I came.

ps Clyde Butcher https://clydebutcher.com/about-the-a...l-information/

Randy, you bring up some good points. We trust that whoever submits will follow the guidelines. As far as digital negatives go I will check to make sure but I believe they are acceptable if the original image was shot on film or plate. Look at the jurors for this event. I can tell the difference and will judge accordingly. I see and know a lot of photographers work. So as I said earlier contact the gallery and ask Michael for clarification if in doubt. This is a very fine gallery and I am honored to have a solo show at the same time as this exhibit.

Sounds good Jim, if I had the means I would visit the gallery.

Good luck in all things.

Randy, thanks.

New Orleans, LA

Great opportunity! I'll be entering.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Great opportunity! I'll be entering.
    Remember that the deadline is April 8th. A week from Sunday.