Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A light tripod for 810?

Re: A light tripod for 810?

I use my approximately 13 lbs 8x10 on a Feisol 3372 carbon-fiber set of legs, and it works fine. The 3372 has a milled (not casted) crown at the top that's both convenient and strong. This CF tripod has very beefy legs -- 38mm diameter at the top. So, not the spindly toothpick legs one finds all but the most expensive Gitzo CF tripods.

One can get a center column with this tripod. But for 8x10, I would stick with the flat plate that comes with the tripod.

Hi Neil, how heavy is the tripod and how wide is the crown? CaN it hold a ries head w a base of 6 inches?

Also, thanks everyone for your replies, I'm curious if any or all the tripods mentioned have or allow the use of spikes or is it All rubber feet? How well does rubber work in the field for you all? I ask because I've gotten used to the spikes on my Ries.

With a light tripod & 810 vibrations can always be a concern, also "light" is for outdoor, so we have to add wind to the equation...

Let me point a little nice add-on: a toy laser pointer to be attached to the front standard, this will tell us what amount of blur the vibration may add, and what time we need to wait after the holder is inserted in the back.

With that simple way we always know exactly how stable is the thing.

I use a Manfrotto 055 with my 5x7 Korona, and the 8x10 Intrepid being lighter, when it comes, I will be using the same tripod with that. Six pounds or so with the head, it will handle my 12 pound 8x10 Ansco, but I have better tools for that. If I want weight, my shoulder bag provides that, but on a quiet day, why?

If it's all just about weight, as people often say without thinking, just put your heaviest camera on your smallest tripod, and you have weight. :-) In every tripod I have, with the column down the weakest spot for vibration is the pivots in the head. I think the 055 with no head would be as stiff as anything else, and have considered mounting a leveling platform instead.

Jacob Riis failing to meet modern tripodic standards: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b8/b1/41/b...c247f697c4.jpg
    Last edited by mdarnton; 24-Mar-2018 at 08:26.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Regarding spikes, the FLM has retractable spikes. No tools or fussing needed to quickly change from rubber feet to spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Have been using a BENRO TAD28C "Adventure" Carbon Fiber tripod with a Ries head
    Greg--I'm curious how the Ries head works with the presumably smaller diameter crown of the Benro...I've got a Ries H-600, but its crown is the typical 2-inch variety and not the "pie plate" that you find on the J-series, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Greg--I'm curious how the Ries head works with the presumably smaller diameter crown of the Benro...I've got a Ries H-600, but its crown is the typical 2-inch variety and not the "pie plate" that you find on the J-series, etc.
    Crown of the BENRO is 2.25" in diameter. Attaching the head with 3/8" solid screw seems to be the trick. 1/4" screw or 1/4" to 3/8" adapter and I'd be a bit leery of it.

Excellent, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Also, thanks everyone for your replies, I'm curious if any or all the tripods mentioned have or allow the use of spikes or is it All rubber feet? How well does rubber work in the field for you all? I ask because I've gotten used to the spikes on my Ries.
    Hi Gabriel, slightly off-topic, but I've really appreciated your site over the past few years and always on the look-out for more of your work.

Thanks!