Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capture One for working on scanned images

Re: Capture One for working on scanned images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=117590
    The scanner doesn't produce an image needing de-mosaicing, which is the main purpose for using ACR, Lightroom, Capture One.
    There is a bit more to it than just de-mosaicing...

Color is certainly important , but I am after non destructive editing on the original. PS doesn't not make that easy and LR slows down. It isnt my hardware. MacPro 32 gb memory 12 hard drives, 4k video card and fastest processor available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    There is a bit more to it than just de-mosaicing...
    Really, Ted?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've been working with multi-gb files from a Screen Cezanne for a very long time.

I'm not sure why you think that editing a file from a scanner in, say, Capture One, won't be "destructive." But let's leave that. What's the problem with Photoshop and saving as a PSB file? Photoshop is much more powerful than either Lightroom or Capture One.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I am finding it increasingly more times that I am required to work with super large files, PS is a pain in the butt , specifically brush size applications as I do like a big brush for my work... I always find this a big problem.

I am going to look into Capture One , first because a lot of my clients are moving to Phase one 100mb capture devices and from what I am told Capture One is great for these devices.. as well if I can get a bigger brush I will do my dodge and burn work there before I send it to PS for final tweaking.

Big files slow down all the workflow and are a PIA for me.

Capture One is really terrific for tethering, and it's a no-brainer for use with Phase MFD backs. Bob, if you want, I can check out the brush size with large files. PM me specifics. I have Capture One 10.

Big files are a pain. That's certainly true!

Really, Ted?
    Well you need more than a value (measurement) for each pixel in the bayer matrix. You need to understand what the coordinates of those values are in XYZ colorspace, or the spectral response such that you can map those values into a known colorspace etc etc. You also need to do the same with the scanner data otherwise it is just raw you just don't need to de-mosaic it.

For example if I have RGB values 125,0,0 what color do I have?

LR AFAIK also applies a tone curve.

Capture One is really terrific for tethering, and it's a no-brainer for use with Phase MFD backs. Bob, if you want, I can check out the brush size with large files. PM me specifics. I have Capture One 10.

Big files are a pain. That's certainly true!
    Hi Peter when I am making a move, lets say burn, I like using a monster brush to feather with opacity down, a small brush becomes to specific but over 800mb I find I can only bring the brush up to a unacceptable size.

If you can compare brush sizes on one of your files I would be curious..

I've been working with multi-gb files from a Screen Cezanne for a very long time.

I'm not sure why you think that editing a file from a scanner in, say, Capture One, won't be "destructive." But let's leave that. What's the problem with Photoshop and saving as a PSB file? Photoshop is much more powerful than either Lightroom or Capture One.
    I like the editing tools in camera raw and LR and the fact that they do not alter the pixel information in any way, it is like have layers with the adjustments on them. If capture one works this way with a file, but can provide better editing (which I don't know if it does) then why not use it. I want to be able to pick up where I left off, but go back to the beginning also without having separate files or files that can approach 5+GB by keeping layers in PS. When I use camera raw or Lightroom, the file never increases in size, no matter the edits. I do use PS and save the files as psb once I have left camera raw. If I need to I can always go back to where finished the file in camera raw and then come back into ps with that file or start over from that file. In the end, I think it is the preference of the user and what works best for them.

All responses so far are good and worth exploring. Appreciate all the feedback.

Here's a screen shot on how big the brush in Capture One 10 can get:

Here's the file info: