Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capture One for working on scanned images

Capture One for working on scanned images

Currently I go into photoshop as each file is like 1.8 GB in size from the scanner and use Camera Raw to do the initial conversion and editing and finish off with PS. I would like to use Capture One to replace Camera Raw step since it is similar in some respects to LR and keeps a catalogue DB like LR. I would use this only for my film stuff as I use LR for cataloguing and processing only going to PS for the tough ones or something that LR doesn't offer.

Plus, getting a color negative just right is not easy sometimes. I was playing with the Colornegative plug in for PS, but didn't get good vibes from it. Seems limited on how you edit and move around the image. Camera Raw is good, can do the initial conversion and editing and sometimes get most of the way there.

LR uses ACR as well, but with files approaching 2GB and larger, I think I want something that can handle these large files better, plus it will keep my digital work DB separate from my film DB. Yeah, I know I can have more than one DB in LR, but even LR has limitations on working with large files and difficult images.

Any input is appreciated.

Re: Capture One for working on scanned images

Well, I have Capture One 10, as well as Photoshop and Lightroom. I've never worked on a file that big, though, in capture one. So you need to be able to work with, say, a 2gb tiff?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Well, I have Capture One 10, as well as Photoshop and Lightroom. I've never worked on a file that big, though, in capture one. So you need to be able to work with, say, a 2gb tiff?
    Yes. Between 1gb and 2gb, sometimes three if I do a pano.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Currently I go into photoshop as each file is like 1.8 GB in size from the scanner and use Camera Raw to do the initial conversion and editing and finish off with PS. I would like to use Capture One to replace Camera Raw step since it is similar in some respects to LR and keeps a catalogue DB like LR. I would use this only for my film stuff as I use LR for cataloguing and processing only going to PS for the tough ones or something that LR doesn't offer.

Plus, getting a color negative just right is not easy sometimes. I was playing with the Colornegative plug in for PS, but didn't get good vibes from it. Seems limited on how you edit and move around the image. Camera Raw is good, can do the initial conversion and editing and sometimes get most of the way there.

LR uses ACR as well, but with files approaching 2GB and larger, I think I want something that can handle these large files better, plus it will keep my digital work DB separate from my film DB. Yeah, I know I can have more than one DB in LR, but even LR has limitations on working with large files and difficult images.

Any input is appreciated.
    If I understood the problem, your are attempting to do non destructive processing all the way through on very large combined scans. None of these programs AFAIK are set up to cope with it, as pure digital does need those pixel counts nor is it currently really capable of producing them. Standard TIFF is limited to 4GB. One way is to copy and downsize, make your edits, and then replay the edits on the original, there a few ways to do this, but it is not straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    If I understood the problem, your are attempting to do non destructive processing all the way through on very large combined scans. None of these programs AFAIK are set up to cope with it, as pure digital does need those pixel counts nor is it currently really capable of producing them. Standard TIFF is limited to 4GB. One way is to copy and downsize, make your edits, and then replay the edits on the original, there a few ways to do this, but it is not straight forward.
    My scanned film are not panos, just single images albeit rather large ones, panos are strictly digital files from capture to completion. I use 4000dpi on my 4x5 as the difference is night and day on lower dpi scans compared to the 4000dpi and it doesn't really take any longer for 4000 than 2400. But yes, I want to do non-destructive editing on the files.

I use Camera Raw on files of at least 2gb that are raw files from the scanner (dng/tiff format). My digital files (from my Canon 5DMKIII) if I make panos from them end up as tiffs, psd or psb that are several gb in size. Camera raw can handle them, and so can LR (except psb), but LR is slow and limited in capability, but has good DB capability, PS/Camera Raw is better, but does not really have a way to create and maintain a DB like LR, Bridge I do not like.

Capture One, is essentially LR and has a lot more capability from what I have seen, so that is why I was interested in how it performs on large files. If it is a dog, then no joy. I'd rather not add more steps to the process than already present.

"Raw" files from the scanner are not "raw" files in the sense of a digital camera. That's a very confusing conflation of terminology, I know. For scanners it means a "minimally processed image." For cameras it means, "an interpretation of the data hasn't been finalized." There's no benefit using a "raw in the sense of from a digital camera" processor, such as Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom, or Capture One, instead of simply using Photoshop. Just use Photoshop.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I need the file to be linear. So when I save it as raw tiff that simply means it is save strictly what scan er sees no manipulation at all. Its not a camera raw file. I also find that pre probably cessing thru camera raw give a much better file than going straight to my ps. Plus by saving ps file as the psb, I can uncook the original since the edits in camera raw are non destructive. That way I can go back and tweak it or start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    "Raw" files from the scanner are not "raw" files in the sense of a digital camera. That's a very confusing conflation of terminology, I know. For scanners it means a "minimally processed image." For cameras it means, "an interpretation of the data hasn't been finalized." There's no benefit using a "raw in the sense of from a digital camera" processor, such as Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom, or Capture One, instead of simply using Photoshop. Just use Photoshop.
    The raw from the Epson is as raw as it gets, AFAIK the exceptions are that the pixel shift algorithm has already been applied, it also possible that the data expanded to fit into 16bits. (does anyone know the size of the AD?). No color matrix has been applied and no tone curve has been applied either. These last two are the really relevant bits as far as raw processing is concerned anyway.

Photoshop CC will handle 300,000 x300,000 pixels. I doubt your file size is the issue. It’s more likely your computer/hardware issue.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=117590
    The scanner doesn't produce an image needing de-mosaicing, which is the main purpose for using ACR, Lightroom, Capture One.

If the color of the file posted in another thread is representative, then Steven is not getting good color from his workflow.