Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Video from LargeSense

Re: New Video from LargeSense

There was an article on aphoteditor a few years ago about Mitchell Feinberg’s 8x10 digital backs(that he only uses for proofing). I had hoped that large sense would have created a digital back that could slide under an 810 ground glass... like I believe Feinberg’s is. I can see a market for a low res 8x10 sensor that can replace Polaroid, but not sure who this is geared for...

The quality of the video is a different story - not sure why they would invest so much in the tech and skimp on the marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a look at the video and came away scratching my head.
    I don't understand the benefit of 12mpx on such a large format, not to even mention the price.
    Does something like this LS911 have a special niche ?
    I keep thinking that the person who went to the length of building & developing this must know something I don't.
    What Am I missing ? Someone, please enlighten me.

I'm sorry to be negative - aside from this system's apparent lack of viability, the video comes across as downright foolish. The presenter's performance and obvious lack of knowledge detract significantly from any credibility there might be.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

In a year or so, a curator will discover somebody using it.

It will be acclaimed as great art.

Mark my words.

or not

Managing Partner LargeSense LL

For future videos I'll have a more informative person in them. My public speaking voice is not very clear and Holly speaks really well. Once the camera stand was done a week ago Friday I worked to put together a video quickly showing camera operation. I plan to keep posting videos and photos.

The LS911 will always have a very small market. If there were a lot of buyers then there would already be such cameras for sale. With the small market you have to make compromises. I assume the market is too small for a company such as PhaseOne. What the camera offers is 8x10 single shot digital capture.

The LS45, the 4x5 digital back is much more popular than the LS911. The LS45 will be able to attach to existing film cameras.

The biggest complaint is that mega pixels. So it is not for everyone.

Looking at the photos of Mitchell Feinberg's digital back it looks like it is too thick to slip under ground glass. I assume he had a custom back made to accommodate digital, ground glass and film. The LS911 is a all in one unit so it is thicker than his.

About the 4GB card in the video: I only use it for testing. I save images internally and transfer them with the network, or I use a USB3 SSD drive.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Bill Charbonnet
    http://largesense.com/

Smile Re: New Video from LargeSense

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Christian View Post
    For future videos I'll have a more informative person in them. My public speaking voice is not very clear and Holly speaks really well. Once the camera stand was done a week ago Friday I worked to put together a video quickly showing camera operation. I plan to keep posting videos and photos.

The LS911 will always have a very small market. If there were a lot of buyers then there would already be such cameras for sale. With the small market you have to make compromises. I assume the market is too small for a company such as PhaseOne. What the camera offers is 8x10 single shot digital capture.

The LS45, the 4x5 digital back is much more popular than the LS911. The LS45 will be able to attach to existing film cameras.

The biggest complaint is that mega pixels. So it is not for everyone.

Looking at the photos of Mitchell Feinberg's digital back it looks like it is too thick to slip under ground glass. I assume he had a custom back made to accommodate digital, ground glass and film. The LS911 is a all in one unit so it is thicker than his.

About the 4GB card in the video: I only use it for testing. I save images internally and transfer them with the network, or I use a USB3 SSD drive.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Bill Charbonnet
    http://largesense.com/
    Thanks for joining the discussion Bill! Funny, I made a video about a DIY Large Format digital back camera a few days before you posted your video. I said "no one is making these" in my video. Then to my surprise, your video shows up... So I had to go back and link to your video to show that someone IS making these.

Mine cost a little over $1000 for the tripod, tripod rig, camera body, lens etc. (I already owned my DSLR.) Mine is not very commercially viable but just a fun project.

Interesting. I have all the parts!

I think I would video more than still.

Thanks, it was fantastic without sound. I seldom turn on sound.

And I am forwarding this to my video friends!

Managing Partner LargeSense LL

Your project looks nice. I tried something like that years ago but with a more primitive setup. My issue was bright light sources head on. Suddenly there seems to be an interest in large format video. Zev Hoover made a setup with a tilt lens recording a projected image.

I need to get out more and take video with the LS911. Perhaps this weekend.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonpix View Post
    Thanks for joining the discussion Bill! Funny, I made a video about a DIY Large Format digital back camera a few days before you posted your video. I said "no one is making these" in my video. Then to my surprise, your video shows up... So I had to go back and link to your video to show that someone IS making these.

Mine cost a little over $1000 for the tripod, tripod rig, camera body, lens etc. (I already owned my DSLR.) Mine is not very commercially viable but just a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Christian View Post
    Your project looks nice. I tried something like that years ago but with a more primitive setup. My issue was bright light sources head on. Suddenly there seems to be an interest in large format video. Zev Hoover made a setup with a tilt lens recording a projected image.

I need to get out more and take video with the LS911. Perhaps this weekend.

Bill
    Yes, I have seen Zev Hoover's video. His setup is quite impressive. He's shifting, not tilting the wide angle lens on his DSLR. I attempted his idea but I tried to shift my LF camera lens instead of my DSLR lens. After looking at my results. I decided to continue down the road I'm already on. Shooting the ground glass. Since I'm already in it for a $1000..... lol

I spoke with him in Facebook and he said he is currently working on a version 2 of his camera. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

I don't understand how this can be called Large Format.

You are shooting and capturing on DSLR with an LF lens and a filter, the GG.

I find it interesting, but not LF.

Don't stop!