Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Navy Retirement Trip

Re: Post Navy Retirement Trip

I'll never know what is inside the sort of people that would enlist, being this is a volunteer military. It's something more than just the paid benefit incentives for after discharge. These are special people. I would never do that, but they do. Thank god for these people, whatever motivated them. That's all I know to say. Enjoy your photography.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    I'll never know what is inside the sort of people that would enlist, being this is a volunteer military. It's something more than just the paid benefit incentives for after discharge. These are special people. I would never do that, but they do. Thank god for these people, whatever motivated them. That's all I know to say. Enjoy your photography.
    Thank you HT Finley. It has been a fun ride to date and I will be sad to see it close later this year. Many things motivate others to join. For me personally, I wanted to not get stuck in the daily grind of doing assembly line work day in and day out. Before joining, I worked odds and ends jobs in a machine shop, construction and as a temp worker at a plastics plant assembling Ford truck vent louvers. I went to the temp agency rep one day and asked if there was anything else that I could go and work at. Her comment to me paraphrased was that the only thing I was good for was to work on a production line (I am not dissing production work, just at the time, it wasn't for me nor the answer I wanted to hear). After that conversation, I quit the company, talked to the Navy recruiter and the rest is 20 years of history and countless adventures. College incentives helped but what has kept me in longer were the friendships I made. The thing I will miss the most when I leave is camaraderie within the military.

R/
    Dave

Congratulations, Dave. My brother retired after 20 with the Navy at age 38 and maintained contact with his buddies until his death at age 80.

Quote Originally Posted by seabee1999 View Post
    Slowly but surely I am contemplating a route out of here. So far it includes stopping at Lee Vining for a night and photographing Mono Lake then onto Lake Tahoe and out the Sebastopol for a night at a friend's home. The following day, see the Redwoods and hopefully up to the Portland area. After that, possibly stopping by Mt. Rainier and then out towards Boise. From there, Yellowstone for a few days, down to Cheyenne for a night. My hope is to make it to Manitou Springs for a night and finally hitting Oklahoma the next day. I am hoping to have this about a 10+ day trip out and around. I just need to save some funds for film and other things.

Just wondering if there are any spots in between the places I mentioned for suggestions to stop at? I am not completely tied to the timing per se, but I don't want to venture too far off the route.

R/
    Dave
    As you will be on 395 (my favorite highway) heading to Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills are worth a stop outside Lone Pine. Mono Lake is about 125 miles north from there.

By the way, congratulations!

Depending on time of year and if the planets align, perhaps I could meet you in the Ancient Bristlecone forest. It's best when the lowlands are hottest, as it's always cool up there. Tonopah and Goldfield always have something to yield. The pics are where you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    Congratulations, Dave. My brother retired after 20 with the Navy at age 38 and maintained contact with his buddies until his death at age 80.
    Thank you bob. I am sure he had some great stories to share as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    As you will be on 395 (my favorite highway) heading to Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills are worth a stop outside Lone Pine. Mono Lake is about 125 miles north from there.

By the way, congratulations!
    Thanks Merg. I will have giant tears as I drive through the HWY 395. I started photographing Mono Lake when I was stationed in Fallon, NV. After my transfer about 10 years ago, I haven't been up that way since. I miss Mono Lake a lot. I has a great sentimental appeal to me. I love Lone Pine and will probably stop off there as well. I hope that there is another meet up out that way in May this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Depending on time of year and if the planets align, perhaps I could meet you in the Ancient Bristlecone forest. It's best when the lowlands are hottest, as it's always cool up there. Tonopah and Goldfield always have something to yield. The pics are where you find them.
    That would be awesome Jim! I've never been to the bristlecone pine forest. Hopefully the road is still open when I pass through. Perhaps we could meet up if possible. I could do a swing out towards Beatty if you'd be willing to meet there for a coffee or beer.

R/
    Dave

Post Navy Retirement Trip

Seaebee, if you’re going up 395, you should stop at China Lake and check out their Naval Ordnance Museum. Cool stuff in there. It used to be on base, but I think it’s outside the front gate now.

I hear you about that area of 395. I miss it too, sometimes. Plus the work was great. Go Navy.

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Seaebee, if you’re going up 395, you should stop at China Lake and check out their Naval Ordnance Museum. Cool stuff in there. It used to be on base, but I think it’s outside the front gate now.

I hear you about that area of 395. I miss it too, sometimes. Plus the work was great. Go Navy.

-Jason
    Thanks Jason. You know what’s funny is that I did a project out there to help construct a new PEB on the range near a rock crusher and quarry the Seabees have. It was a very hot project and one I won’t forget to say the least. It maybe nice to stop by there and see friends I know who are currently stationed there before taking off. Thanks for the suggestion.

R/
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by seabee1999 View Post
    Thank you bob. I am sure he had some great stories to share as well.

Thanks Merg. I will have giant tears as I drive through the HWY 395. I started photographing Mono Lake when I was stationed in Fallon, NV. After my transfer about 10 years ago, I haven't been up that way since. I miss Mono Lake a lot. I has a great sentimental appeal to me. I love Lone Pine and will probably stop off there as well. I hope that there is another meet up out that way in May this year.

That would be awesome Jim! I've never been to the bristlecone pine forest. Hopefully the road is still open when I pass through. Perhaps we could meet up if possible. I could do a swing out towards Beatty if you'd be willing to meet there for a coffee or beer.

R/
    Dave
    Dave, he had many great stories to tell, most of which I had never heard until one day in 2010. At the time, I was a volunteer with the Veterans' History Project at the Prescott, Az, VAH. I convinced him to give his story to one of our interviewers, which he kindly did. I told him later that 90 percent of the stories he told were new to me, as I was in the second grade when he enlisted and he was stationed abroad most of his career. I strongly encourage all vets on here to tell your story, as it is a great gift for your family. Unfortunately, not all VA hospitals participate in the program at this time. The master copy of the interview is sent to the Library of Congress, one copy goes to the vet and the VAH keeps one or two copies.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    Dave, he had many great stories to tell, most of which I had never heard until one day in 2010. At the time, I was a volunteer with the Veterans' History Project at the Prescott, Az, VAH. I convinced him to give his story to one of our interviewers, which he kindly did. I told him later that 90 percent of the stories he told were new to me, as I was in the second grade when he enlisted and he was stationed abroad most of his career. I strongly encourage all vets on here to tell your story, as it is a great gift for your family. Unfortunately, not all VA hospitals participate in the program at this time. The master copy of the interview is sent to the Library of Congress, one copy goes to the vet and the VAH keeps one or two copies.
    I would love to do something like this for my dad before he passes. However, his health is deteriorating rather quickly that I do not think he has neither the strength nor desire to do something like this. My hope is to get with my wife and record something for my daughters sometime after I retire and share the few stories I know that they would enjoy for future listening. My 5 yr old isn't as interested now and our second ne is still baking in the oven until June this year........arriving just before my terminal leave.

R/
    Dave