Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large scans with Vuescan 4GB+ bigtiff?

Re: Large scans with Vuescan 4GB+ bigtiff?

Example of image scanned at 4000dpi with AA turned off assuming scanner doesn't have an AA filter. This file started as a 1.79GB raw tiff. If I scan at like 6000dpi I believe the file was like 5.5 GB dng file. This scan at 4000dpi is much sharper than at 2400 dpi which left me feeling so so. I am not sure going to 4800dpi would get anything other than a larger file, but will check it out with next scan. I am fairly impressed with this scanner.

Last edited by Steven Ruttenberg; 21-Mar-2018 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Example of image scanned at 4000dpi with AA turned off assuming scanner doesn't have an AA filter. This file started as a 1.79GB raw tiff. If I scan at like 6000dpi I believe the file was like 5.5 GB dng file. This scan at 4000dpi is much sharper than at 2400 dpi which left me feeling so so. I am not sure going to 4800dpi would get anything other than a larger file, but will check it out with next scan. I am fairly impressed with this scanner.

Can't see the file :-(

I got a reply from Ed saying going beyond the 4GB limit was not possible, but perhaps I misinterpreted it, I asked more than one question and his replies are very brief. I would be keen to know if you 5.5 GB dng file was actually 5.5GB, I was disappointed that it won't work with TIFF.

Using the maximum resolution, does make a difference (that is trivial to prove) but it is not necessarily better in ways that are obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Can't see the file :-(

I got a reply from Ed saying going beyond the 4GB limit was not possible, but perhaps I misinterpreted it, I asked more than one question and his replies are very brief. I would be keen to know if you 5.5 GB dng file was actually 5.5GB, I was disappointed that it won't work with TIFF.

Using the maximum resolution, does make a difference (that is trivial to prove) but it is not necessarily better in ways that are obvious.
    Here is a link to my website with picture. Wind I can see it on my end.

http://www.steveruttenbergphotograph...65f4#ha65765f4

I will do another scan at 6000dpi to generate another file of that size and will attempt to save it as dng and tiff and see which works.

Just following this up.

I was never able to get past the 4GB limit with either TIFF or DNG. They both use a 32bit pointer in the header so that creates a limit.

But it also appears the epson series scanner have a 4GB hardware limit. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...e=11&term=warm
    which I had heard before. Has anyone ever looked at the circuit board etc?

I will seebif I can create a big file this weekend and duplicate the 5.5 gig dng I created before.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I will seebif I can create a big file this weekend and duplicate the 5.5 gig dng I created before.
    That would be good, but I suspect vuescan played a trick on you, like it did to me