Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Enlarger darkroom space....

8x10 Enlarger darkroom space....

Hello, I was wondering if someone with experience using an 8x10 enlarger could give me some spatial advice. I am currently designing and tooling up an darkroom for my house. The first and hopefully last I will ever build. I have really only worked in a large school darkroom so I am relying on what I can read about layout and design in smaller spaces.

The room I will be using is 12’6” by 14’6” with a ceiling that slopes from 9’6” to 8’. It is 4 bricks walls so won’t ever get expanded, although there is a large room attached that is a music studio and could house some things like a work table, flat files etc. I will be running all the electric and plumbing myself and can lay it out in whatever way feels best. I already have almost everything I need including a 4x5 enlarger and a large developing sink and stainless 8x10 developing setup. In my inital layoud designs I was planning on having a flatfile and small work table in the darkroom but I can move those out if necassary.

I am trying do decide if an 8x10 enlarger is a realistic option of this space before I actually dig in on building it out. I would try my best to source a “smaller” 8x10 like a De Vere. But having never actually used one and having spent very little time in a smaller (I know its not tiny) darkroom It is hard for me to get my mind around the space. The sink I have will only handle 20x24 trays so I would have to set something up even if temporarily to make larger prints. My play would be to have the 4x5 and the 8x10 enlarger side by side and the sink on the opposite wall.

Any imput on this would be appreciated. Other things to consider are that I have a large basement very close that things can be stored in when not in use and the fact that I mostly plan on working alone but would like the space to feel ok with 2 people in it from time to time.

I know that people have created viable darkrooms in extremely undersized spaces and I do hope to be as efficient as possible but I really want this to not feel cramped. That is the goal at least.

Cheers
    Travis

Re: 8x10 Enlarger darkroom space....

Travis, you have plenty of room. Your plan is sound.

Most 8X10 enlargers are not really that big, they can be tall. Many were comprised at birth to fit in 8 ft ceilings, like an 8X10 SuperChromega head on a Calumet 10X10.

As for floor footage, again the size is not too bad. My big heavy tall Fotar 10X10 was only 42" wide at the baseboard, everything else is much narrower. Front to rear it was the same as a Beseler CB7 4X5 on an Adjust=A-Table. I had that combo side by side. Same timer.

Then I would move my Focomat V35 onto the Fotar to use it.

I think many decide to not have an 8X10 for the wrong reasons. Saltzman are huge and heavy. Other's are not as bad. A big color head can be tall, but it is not wider than the table.

Good luck!

The smallest 8x10 enlarger that I have used is the Omega Super-Chromega F. One of those would fit easily in your space and allow you to make prints up to 30x40 inches.
    No matter which enlarger you find, you're going to want a lot of counter and sink space if you plan to print that big. Best of luck!

My 8x10 DeVere is in a smaller darkroom (8.5 x 11). It shares that space with a 4x5 LPL. I'd love to have 12.5 x 14.5 but that would intrude into my wife's space! I'm sure you've found the post below which shows quite a number of working darkrooms, some fancier and better layed out than others. My 3 darkrooms are in post 507-509, and I'll upload the DeVere 5108 below:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=darkroom

It's in the spot where the Durst used to be, I only have room for 1 large enlarger, there is a 6' sink on the opposite wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0331s.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	176175

Ed Freniere

I built a home darkroom a couple of years ago and have an Omega D2V enlarger for 4x5 and smaller and a Beseler 45MX with 8x10 conversion head for 8x10. The two enlargers sit on a heavy steel table of height 30". The ceiling is 8', which leaves just enough room for both enlargers to go to their maximum height. I have 30"x96" sink, which barely holds 4 20x24 trays. With the Beseler I can easily make a 20x24 print on the baseboard. The darkroom is about 8'x15'. It is barely big enough, but it is big enough. You can see photos of it (in a relevant thread) here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rgers-Darkroom

Ed

Drew Wiley

9 ft of ceiling would be preferable, esp if a colorhead is involved. You want ventilation space above it, and ideally some FRP sheeting (fire resistant panel), due to the potential closeness. Then ducting to outdoors. Ventilation in general is extremely important not only for your lungs, but lest humidity ruin everything in your flat files. I would highly recommend a partition wall between the wet side with sink and chemistry, and the dry side with paper, optics, and the enlarger itself. You should have just enough room to realistically do that.

The Besseler 45XVL lends itself to a wall mount and has an 8x10 head. You can also have mounting brackets made for many popular 8x10 heads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Drew Wiley

Remember, if you opt for a pro 8x10 enlarger like a big Durst, you have to plan big doors and get it in early. Same applies to a big sink. For a partition wall idea, so the accompanying thread.

Big gear, including 10X10 enlargers and 10ft sinks, break down into parts and easily passed into my 2 steel single doors set at 90 degrees to each other. Slows down the battering ram...

I rode motorcycles, slowly right through the maze. No saddlebags...

If you are moving an enlarger in one piece you are doing it wrong unless it's just sliding on Teflon pads, which are nice for all darkroom gear. Move things with your hip.

Drew Wiley

Not all break down! My huge sink had to be installed before my walls. Two of my enlargers had to go through sliding warehouse doors, and involved limited time use of a big truck and otherwise expensive loaned labor. Basement locations and heavy machinery require some forethought. Last yr I moved a 900 lb enlarger manually up two flights of stairs right thru an open restaurant, owned by the lab owner, onto a flatbed truck on a busy downtown street. No time to break down. Then the hard part began here. And it's not even my biggest enlarger!