Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New article by Ernest Purdum: Cheap View Cameras

New article by Ernest Purdum: Cheap View Cameras

A PhD friend of mine recently asked what the definition of "View Camera" is. After looking through lots of books, all I could come up with was more of the reasons to use one (movements) and not the history behind the name. Can someone give the true explanation of why it is called a "View Camera"? I ask now since this topic seems to leans towards what makes box cameras not View cameras.

Avoiding arguments about precision for a moment, I think that the underlying angle of the article makes sense. I remember learning how to use a view camera with an old Calumet camera and lens. I eventually moved to Toyo for studio work and a used Wisner 5x7 with 4x5 back and other goodies that I bought from a retired doctor who *thought* that he had wanted to be a photographer, and the additional capabilities are useful. But they aren't necessary to start experiencing just what LF offers.

"An old tailboard camera ... with extremely limited movements is more than good enough for most scenes" (Ole)
    I see Ole, that you used your "precision hammer" for your thoughts about LF photography. Sorry, but for me an old tailboard camera is less than good enough for most scenes.

Brien,have you heard about 0 settings? So much for repeatability. That's a movement you surely repeated many times over in your photography.

Darr: A PhD friend of mine recently asked what the definition of "View Camera" is.
    He's got the PhD! He's baiting you! Tell him to figure it out his-own-bright-self. Walk away. Be happy.

Darr,

The original meaning of "view camera" was one which permitted composing on a ground glass. The opposite was a "blind camera" which used a viewfinder as an indirect means of composing. Many cameras, of course, can be used either way. The lterm "technical camera" is often used for the more advanced of these.

Like many other words, the meaning has changed over the years. In the United States, it now means a camera with adjustable "movements". Curiously, both the Focal Dictionary and the Focal Encyclopedia say that "field camera" is synonymous. I think most people consider the field camera to be a type of view camera, but are more apt to mean a monorail when they use the term view camera. "Stand camera" is sometimes used, most often outside the United States.

Recently, on eBay at least, I have noticed the term "box camera" referring to a folding camera which closes up into a box. The term should be used only for cameras which do not fold. Not all box cameras are basic instrruments. Newman & Guardia, for example, made box cameras with movements, and which could be focused on a groundglass.

Thank you Ernest for all the view camera definition info!
    I cannot tell you how "empty" all these photography books I have are of that information

Sincerely,
    Darlene

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

gps: "Brien,have you heard about 0 settings? "

Aside from testing the gg-fp relation, no, I haven't used the zero detent. I don't use my view cameras as box cameras. The box cameras are smaller and easier to manage, even compared to the Graflex Super Graphic. (Believe it or not, my Pentax 6x7 w/90mm lens weighs the same as the Graflex!)

By the way, could you please apply the precision of your view camera to the spelling of my name? After all, I do presume that your camera has more precision than your spelling... :-)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Well, how about this: I always have scraps of hardwood and aluminum laying around my shop. I save bits and pieces and make things with them. The latest is a 4X5 monorail view camera. It has most movements, which are not geared or zero marked. I can see if it's lopsided by looking at the GG. Bellows from a DeJur emlarger. Total cost, less lens and Graflok back (which I already had), somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 bucks. Mostly for knobs. I will put this up against any high dollar camera, using the same lens and film, any day. And yes, I use Speed Graphics (14 of 'em) and other "oddball" cameras with excellent results. They're all just a box to keep the dark in.

Well, Brian, I can see that you care more about the precision of your name spelling than that of your camera movements. Sorry that my keyboard doesn't have 0 settings for your name spelling... :-)