Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider xenar 105mm 3.5

Re: Schneider xenar 105mm 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You haven't looked very hard and you haven't used the list described here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses

Since you can't feed yourself, the information you want is here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...3,5-100mm.html
    O.P's asking about a 105mm lens , not the 100mm you've linked to.
    The one I linked to was the 105mm f/4.5 though , not the 105mm f/3.5 that the O.P asked about .

The 105mm f/3.5 the O.P isn't a typo , do a search on ebay and you'll see them for sale .
    Intended for 6x9cm coverage though , not 5"x4" .

Doesn't seem to be much information out there on this lens , regardless of who's doing the feeding of the information ( right or wrong ) .

Schneider claimed that the 10.5cm f3.5 Xenar had a 4 5/16" (~110mm) "circle of sharp definition at small stop," barely enough for 2x3, let alone 4x5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schneider_2_17.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	176186

From http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...hneider_2.html

Thanks for the correction.

This link, not in the list, http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/linhof_3.html reports a 105/3.5 Xenar on the 2x3 Super Technika. The VM lists a variety of f/3.5 Xenars starting before WW II, says the 105 was the last to be discontinued. The 105s were all for 2x3, not 4x5.

Jason, I think your page from Cameraeccentric is from a pre-WW II catalog. I strongly suspect, can't prove 'cos I don't have Thiele's Schneider book, that the 105/3.5 Xenars sold on 2x3 Technikas were later designs with slightly greater coverage.

A major source of confusion seems to be that these vintage Xenars usually don't have a visually distinctive limit to their usable image circle. The image goes progressively more soft, then fuzzy and distorted as you move further from the center – before it goes totally dark. You may be able to get a usable image well beyond the manufacturer's stated coverage – just depends on your definition of 'usable'.

If you play within Schneider's claimed specs, you'll get sharp, straight negatives that can stand a fair amount of enlargement. Outside those guidelines, it's better to do your own experiments (but don't expect a free lunch).

For 4x5, the already mentioned 135/4.7 Xenar works well enough with modest movements. Shorter than that really needs a wide angle design IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You haven't looked very hard and you haven't used the list described here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses

Since you can't feed yourself, the information you want is here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...3,5-100mm.html
    It would appear that you can't feed me either. The lens i referred to was a 105mm 3.5 but I see you've been corrected already.

Thanks to all - I let it go as it clearly wasn't designed for 4x5. Though i knew that already I was happy to use it for portraits as long as it was a case of fading and softness at the edges rather than (black) vignetting. i let it go in the end. Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by neilt3 View Post
    My mistake , I didn't spot the different aperture .
    It's strange that is missing from this list ( https://www.schneideroptics.com/info..._lenses/xenar/ ) at Schneider .

I did a search on ebay and there's plenty of the lens your asking about on there .
    Strange that there's not much information of it on the net .
    Seems to of also been available with an M42 mount for 35mm , probably for use on bellows as there seems to be refrances on using it for macro .

Still seems to be of use for just 6x9cm though , maybe an earlier version of the f/4.5 and they just restricted the aperture to improve I.Q leaving the same coverage ?

Would 135mm be to long for you ?
    I tend to use my Xenar 135mm f/4.7 on a Crown Graphic and like the results . The stated recomended coverage is for 90x120mm but even with a bit of forward tilt coverage seems fine . The lens is stopped down a bit as I tend to shoot landscape more .
    I have quite a few lenses to choose from but this one suits a lot of what I do .
    Thanks a lot for your response. I shoot a lot of environmental portraits and i occasionally find things a bit tight and then need to reach for a wider lens. I already have a 135 6.3 and a 150 3.5. I was also attracted by the maximum aperture. I have found it rather difficult to see the GG at the small apertures on some lenses. I am now looking for a 135 3.5 for low light shooting.

Thanks again

lis boa, you might look up the work of Arnold Newman. He is generally credited with introducing the 'environmental portrait' and often used wide-angle lenses with great success. He did talk about technique some times- I don't have a reference here, but I believe that he often used a 90mm lens on 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    lis boa, you might look up the work of Arnold Newman. He is generally credited with introducing the 'environmental portrait' and often used wide-angle lenses with great success. He did talk about technique some times- I don't have a reference here, but I believe that he often used a 90mm lens on 4x5.
    Thank you very much for the pointer. Exemplary wide angle portrait work. I think it is a challenging genre and his execution shows what striking portraits are possible -he even uses distortion effectively in some of his photos. Thanks again.

Newman's portrait of Stravinsky is one of my favorite portraits ever made. Good point.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome