Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Incoming! Another big enlarger!

Re: Incoming! Another big enlarger!

Ha! I had one of those 305 Hondas. First real motorcycle, turned into a high school project, bored out, cam, exhaust (made in metal shop), raced it at the track— I didn’t know what I was doing and it was slow but it sounded great! I never read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, I was just a mechanic. So maybe I had the zen part down and didn’t need that book.
    Last edited by brucetaylor; 18-Mar-2018 at 07:49.

Drew Wiley

You could start a warehouse business : Mo Largers Fo Yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You could start a warehouse business : Mo Largers Fo Yo.
    No business, thank you, been there, done that as they say.

Retired 10 years now and just getting into my stretch.

If you want a real challenge, find a Kodak Beacon Precision Enlarger on a gov't surplus site. And if you get one, I know people who can properly set it up, and I can teach you how to use it (used to be part of my job). 150x magnification sound like fun?

I can’t find an image of one.

150X is useful?

I am looking for a microscope with camera port.

Thanks for the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    If you want a real challenge, find a Kodak Beacon Precision Enlarger on a gov't surplus site. And if you get one, I know people who can properly set it up, and I can teach you how to use it (used to be part of my job). 150x magnification sound like fun?

Drew Wiley

I've coveted a trinocular Zeiss too, with a sheet film adapter. They aren't rare by any means, but are still apparently in demand and command steep prices. My own microsope was stolen long ago, and I got to use wonderful ones in my microbiology and invertebrate palaeo classes in College, when these instruments were at the peak of their mechanical quality. Heck, I'd love to just have one to look through, but will end up in the doghouse if I buy any more optical toys.

I used a Nikon Stereoscope with Sony video camera mounted to the camera port. It would print with a large Sony printer making what looked like 4x5 B&W Polaroids. Whatever it was, the printer seldom needed reloading.

Really expensive at the time and the boss man would not let me connect my Nikon Coolpix 990 to it. 30 second connect. Everything was scientific voodoo to this lab...Now the same type Nikon scope can directly mount a D series Nikon.

Like this would be fine. https://www.nikoninstruments.com/Pro...oscopes/SMZ745

I was looking for stress cracks in spring steel shim crosssections. The little buggers were hard to see even in Stereo. Lighting was key. Find one and shut down a production line. I often did that without much authority. Not a popular task. But prevented huge piles of scrap.

I freaked the place out all the time when I would make lab improvement at night. They would walk in and wake up...then they listened to my tape recorded explanation.

Rock the boat, which I have done and capsized. We got towed in.

Drew Wiley

Yeah, I know a horror story about production line NOT being paused when a stress crack appeared on a key submarine valve. They welded over it instead. If the surface was acid etched, any trick like that was easy to spot on a low power scope. But they got away with it, at least for awhile.