Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incoming! Another big enlarger!

Re: Incoming! Another big enlarger!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Randy, if you show that head to your rural power co-op they might pay you to never turn it on without 24 hour notice, or they might pay for your LED bulbs.
    BS, they are trying to ban Solar energy here right now. Not kidding, it was on the news this morning.

My combined gas and electric is cheaper than cable and internet. I have only Internet and OTA TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    My combined gas and electric is cheaper than cable and internet. I have only Internet and OTA TV.
    So, the locals have not yet discovered how to get cable through the gas lines? Well, you are in the Deep South. Certainly they have found how to deliver Moonshine that way.

Not picking on you Steve, but this forum and sport is full of excess. Most regulars sooner or later let slip how much gear they actually have. Why not, it's all worthless.

The other day somebody said and I forget who, they had 6 Semi-Centennial stands and cameras. Others have dozens of collector lenses. Investors.

My point is, so what?

I started collecting enlargers when I found out nobody really wanted any of them. I'll take all the 5X7 and bigger enlargers I can find. I have a dedicated space for them now.

I shine them up, I fix whatever, combine parts and use some of them more than others.

I don't find many young people being serious about anything we do, not for very long. Maybe in 20 years, maybe never. I have teenage grandsons. Heck, most here scan and digi print.

I have been collecting something all my life, since I was tiny. Daddy threw it all out when we moved each year. Pissed me off. Now I do what the Hell I want. Finally...

Reality is, I'm 67, everything I have will be back on the market sooner than I will like.

At age 16, I predicted I will live 3 score and 10. I think I got it right. Tick tock.

The Doors, 'This is the End Beautiful Friend' is playing right now on ye old radio. https://youtu.be/JSUIQgEVDM4?t=2

song ends, fade to Beatles
    Sorry Randy, but I guess it's just me right now... I have been re-evaluating that want/need thing as my stuff is still in storage limbo from my last move, and was surprised by how a house can be a "clown car" of single items going in, and at moving time the "clowns" are like herding, well clowns as I escaped to another space (I'm just relieved I passed up that South Bend lathe and Saltzman enlarger when I did, or life would suck more!!!)

Great luck on your set-up and do nice stuff with it!!!

Steve K

Not picking on you Steve, but this forum and sport is full of excess. Most regulars sooner or later let slip how much gear they actually have. Why not, it's all worthless.
    Indeed! I started buying LF equipment when I realized I could have all the camera fantasies of my youth for pennies on the dollar. Stopping is harder than starting. I'm trying. Really, I am.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Been there, more than once. I am twice divorced, that clears out a house or two real fast.

On a better note, before I ever married, in 1979 I sold and got rid of everything that didn't fit on a 1973 Triumph Bonneville. Not much fits. 2 canvas saddlebags and a sleeping bag with a tiny tent. I still have the 2 lb Gore-Tex North Face sleeping bag. The Gore-Tex tent nearly killed me on a rainy beach. Not enough air exchange to breathe as I cut my way out of that killer.

I left Chicago in snow in February on that well-used bike. Cold as cold can be until New Orleans. I rode that bike a year as I traveled solo, stopping by friends on the way. Long stop in Brownsville for winter to pass. Then West and North. Sold the bike in the rain of Eugene to friends. Hitched to San Diego. Bought a worn out '64 VW Bus, fixed it on the road and drove it back to Chicago.

Then I went to work, self-employed. Great money. Married then not. Lived in an SRO for a year, down and out. Owning nothing. Then back to work. Married again, then not. Now 23 years single. Life is good!

I wouldn't change a thing in my life, i am very happy with my stepdaughter and her 2 wonderful sons. Her husband is a friend.

I woke up yesterday and considered options. Sell it all right now, estate sale, sell house, sell new truck and trailer. Everything. Rent, travel.

But there is nowhere I want to go. Been there. EU thrice.

Summer is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Sorry Randy, but I guess it's just me right now... I have been re-evaluating that want/need thing as my stuff is still in storage limbo from my last move, and was surprised by how a house can be a "clown car" of single items going in, and at moving time the "clowns" are like herding, well clowns as I escaped to another space (I'm just relieved I passed up that South Bend lathe and Saltzman enlarger when I did, or life would suck more!!!)

Great luck on your set-up and do nice stuff with it!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Indeed! I started buying LF equipment when I realized I could have all the camera fantasies of my youth for pennies on the dollar. Stopping is harder than starting. I'm trying. Really, I am.
    I used to buy Shutterbug every month to study/drool over all the gear I could not justify buying as I had no idea what to do with it anyway. My Pentax H1 was all I needed for many years until I gave it away... then replaced with a Pentax MX.

The trick is to stop looking. I stopped all eBay hunts, Searching all Craigslist and and and

Of course now, i just go pick one to fiddle with from storage.

The Mamiya C33 is perfect and wow is it heavy, but it works, unlike the lightweight C330 junk. Tin Can Cameras

Randy, you have book in you. I'm thinking of a melody mixed from Dharma Bums and Art of Motorcycle maintenance.

Randy, you have book in you. I'm thinking of a melody mixed from Dharma Bums and Art of Motorcycle maintenance.
    Many tell me to write. I prefer to tell bar stories one on one. Now coffee tales. Tell a fast short story tailored to the listener, then buy them a drink. Once i get going i don't stop telling stories. as far as I know they are all true.

Why lie? Wanna hear about Matamoros? No, you don't!

I couldn't stand Zen and the Art of the Motorcycle. I know, it's a lousy book. A tale of nothing.

I like Kerouac, Kesey, Hemmingway, Steinbeck, Edward Abbey, Hermann Hesse, Michener, Plath, Dickinson, Brooks, Ursula K Le Guin, Asimov. Around age 8 I started reading a book a day, I have forgotten most. I was studying Nuclear Physics until I woke up. Sputnik was a major influence as were the Moon Landings. I suppose all us remeber exactly where we were November 22, 1963. I laughed as I couldn't believe it. Then most cried.

Hesse's Siddhartha I read evey few years. I buy a copy, read it and give it away. A great tale of life. I am near the river now.

My story may be closer to, Hesse's 'Beneath the Wheel'.

Cheers

I couldn't stand Zen and the Art of the Motorcycle. I know, it's a lousy book. A tale of nothing.
    The view from the wooden fire escape behind my apartment in Hyde Park, Chicago, looked across the alley, over Robert's apartment. The magazine I worked for wrote about him. We were both involved in the University of Chicago and rode similar motorcycles (305 Honda). Pirsig was excellent. Guess you had to be there.

The view from the wooden fire escape behind my apartment in Hyde Park, Chicago, looked across the alley, over Robert's apartment. The magazine I worked for wrote about him. We were both involved in the University of Chicago and rode similar motorcycles (305 Honda). Pirsig was excellent. Guess you had to be there.

I couldn't take his meandering and he was no mechanic.

My first bike at 16 was a 305 with bent folk tubes. I bent them back in a press. Not perfect which is impossibe.

I rode that bike flat out most of time. Was called 10 grand as every shift was at 10,000 rpm. Bang shift. Almost...unless cops were about.
    I ran it hard. Since the forks were not perfect it would enter a speed wobble at 80 and I could power through that to stability at 90 and get to an indicated 100. Fast for those days.

I weighed nothing, hadn’t had a hard crash yet, it was nuts. I was nuts. I have way more story that I won’t tell online.

I know many loved Pirsig. I did not. He was wordy. I prefer Hemingway. Short declarative sentences.

I have my Sporty ready to go. My clutch hand might work. Sometimes it fails me. I have every trick in the book in my clutch, including a special German ramp, cost $250. New Barrnet cable adjusted to short release. Bugs most riders. Too quick.

Maybe a 2018 diaphragm is next.

Do you still have that nice big twin?

L