Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incoming! Another big enlarger!

Re: Incoming! Another big enlarger!

Christopher...
    When I was in school at Auburn long ago, my department moved into a new building. There was a darkroom already there with a feature I thought was cool...you could walk in and out of a light trap maze. Good ventilation, nobody could open the door. Walk down one black aisle,around the corner, down that aisle and into the safelight. (This may be late if it isn't already in the plan, but it was a good idea!) With or without, you'll love your dark space. Mike

Drew Wiley

That gear can double for landscaping tasks. The bigger the enlarger bellows, the more branches that can be fed into the shredder-mulcher on the easel below.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    [..] 10X10 Salzman. I think the 14" condenser gave me a hernia.
    You have a particularly valuable part! For others, the condenser is two lenses in a steel collar. I have the condenser, too, waiting to be picked up by one of our esteemed members in Wisconsin who is owned by a dog named Snow. Best hurry. I'm not real well anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You have a particularly valuable part! For others, the condenser is two lenses in a steel collar. I have the condenser, too, waiting to be picked up by one of our esteemed members in Wisconsin who is owned by a dog named Snow. Best hurry. I'm not real well anymore.
    I know and it's in very good condition, stored in a dry cool place.

I recently got a Saltzman Incandescent head. It holds 25 medium base photo lamps up to 30 amps 120 VAC. Hot potato! Came with huge cable and a few sample bulbs. It was supposed to come loaded. O well, I have bulbs.

24"X24" OD

IMG-0938 by moe.randy, on Flickr

IMG-0937 by moe.randy, on Flickr

IMG-0939 by moe.randy, on Flickr

The neighbors will know something is up over there when their lights start dimming irregularly. Do you plan to use that, or will you be cobbling up some sort of LED head?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    The neighbors will know something is up over there when their lights start dimming irregularly. Do you plan to use that, or will you be cobbling up some sort of LED head?
    What I do with things like this, is put it in the back of my mind. Then sleep on it until the plan shows up in the front of my mind.

These eureka moments usually happen in my morning shower or while napping in the afternoon Sun.

Or never...

I could turn my shed into the enlarger museum, but I need to sleep on that idea, for a few years.

Almost time for my morning nap!

Man, 'ya gotta stop letting those things follow you home, or break something in you!!! :-0

Kool, but the operative term here is "need"... (You can print with your other enlargers, right!?!!!)

Steve K

Is Randy finding these in the wild, or has he set up a breeding program?

I suspect the latter given the increasing numbers...

Randy, if you show that head to your rural power co-op they might pay you to never turn it on without 24 hour notice, or they might pay for your LED bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Man, 'ya gotta stop letting those things follow you home, or break something in you!!! :-0

Kool, but the operative term here is "need"... (You can print with your other enlargers, right!?!!!)

Steve K
    Not picking on you Steve, but this forum and sport is full of excess. Most regulars sooner or later let slip how much gear they actually have. Why not, it's all worthless.

The other day somebody said and I forget who, they had 6 Semi-Centennial stands and cameras. Others have dozens of collector lenses. Investors.

My point is, so what?

I started collecting enlargers when I found out nobody really wanted any of them. I'll take all the 5X7 and bigger enlargers I can find. I have a dedicated space for them now.

I shine them up, I fix whatever, combine parts and use some of them more than others.

I don't find many young people being serious about anything we do, not for very long. Maybe in 20 years, maybe never. I have teenage grandsons. Heck, most here scan and digi print.

I have been collecting something all my life, since I was tiny. Daddy threw it all out when we moved each year. Pissed me off. Now I do what the Hell I want. Finally...

Reality is, I'm 67, everything I have will be back on the market sooner than I will like.

At age 16, I predicted I will live 3 score and 10. I think I got it right. Tick tock.

The Doors, 'This is the End Beautiful Friend' is playing right now on ye old radio. https://youtu.be/JSUIQgEVDM4?t=2

song ends, fade to Beatles