Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Angulon 47mm f/5.6 XL not screwing into Copal 0 shutter properly

Super Angulon 47mm f/5.6 XL not screwing into Copal 0 shutter properly

When I screw in the lens' front element into the front of the Copal 0 shutter, it feels like it does not screw in all the way. The width of the barrel seems to be catching and stopping itself from screwing all the way in.

Additionally, whenever the front element is tightly screwed in, there is a pressure placed by the barrel along the front guard of the shutter, preventing the shutterspeed ring from being moved.

Now, it appears to me that there is an interstitial piece that sits between the metal ring that carries the shutterspeed markings, and the lens barrel itself. On pictures I've found online of this particular lens, it looks much more flush with the shutter and the barrel is closer to the shutterspeed markings. I'm wondering if this metal ring that sits between the lens barrel and the shutterspeed ring is removable, or meant to be removed in order to use this lens.

Does anyone have one of these, who would could perhaps explain what is going on?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	175959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	175959

Re: Super Angulon 47mm f/5.6 XL not screwing into Copal 0 shutter properly

IMHO it has to screew in perfectly. Take a magnifier and check if the 4 threads have any damage. Clean and lube threads with DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant. Check with a caliper if the threads allow to reach the mechanical top, and how many tours it should screew. If threads damaged then teflon lube may help, if not you should go to a machine shop.

If all that fails, take a Grip Thread Pitch Gauge to identify the thread types, that have to be matching. If (very rare) not matching someone made custom threads... because a copal 0 is a copal 0...

that piece you point to is plastic in some Copal 0s, and pops out with a screwdriver. If it's machined into the shutter, then it's not one of the removable parts. I will look at my 47XL tonight and take pics if that would help?

It has notches on the inside of this ring, and if you push them, it will spin independently of the rest of the assembly (although it will make a brutal squeaking noise).

That metal ring is what is keeping the shutter together literally. Remove it and you can have access to the shutter innards. What probably happened is someone was fixing the shutter and did not tighten the ring down properly. Take a couple small flathead screwdrivers and try to tighten that metal ring. Don't get it excessively tight or you may not be able to change shutter speeds, but it should be flush enough not to interfere with the lens being screwed in.

I've seen Copal shutters on which those rings have wider peripheral widths. I can only assume those were made to perform the functions of improving cosmetic appeal (minimize gap with narrower lens cells) and to help keep dirt out of the gap. That may not be the original shutter, or maybe just not the original locking ring.

After reading posts below, now I'm thinking maybe the shutters I saw had a removable trim ring. I can't remember.
    Last edited by consummate_fritterer; 15-Mar-2018 at 14:50.

Hm, that is troublesome. I suppose that means I would have to purchase another shutter?

Domaz, is it not the internal, silver, ridged ring that holds it together? I watched disassembly videos and it doesn’t appear that the ring I am describing comes off.

47mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL & Copal# 0 shutter. The front cell has very fine pitch threads that can be very easily cross threaded during assembly. It this happens, the problem is very serious with assured damage to the lens cell's external threads and copal shutter's internal threads.

Name:	47mm SAXL_front & copal.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	175980

There is no plastic dress ring on the copal# 0 shutter for the 47mm SAXL, if there is, it is likely the wrong copal# 0 shutter for the 47mmm SAXL, or some one swapped Copal shutters for this set of lens cells. That plastic ring could be removable, check this. Regardless, it should not be there when used with the 47mm SAXL lens cells.

If this is not the original Copal# 0 shutter, the cell spacing might not be correct for this given lens cell set as they are often matched to the original shutter. Might be a problem, might not be a problem, check this.

The screw is a cover plate ring lock screw, it keeps the the lock ring in place.

Name:	47mm SAXL, Copal# 0.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	175981

Bernice

Thanks Bernice. It must be a plastic dress ring. This is not the original shutter. I only had the cells, separate. I have a shutter that is not suited to the 47mm XL. That’s too bad.

I have a Copal 0 press shutter, with no raised front, however it does not fit in the recessed board I need to use to be able to focus with my camera.

Question is, where did the original Copal# 0 shutter go?

What is the history of this 47mm SAXL in question?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    Thanks Bernice. This is almost certainly the case. I have a shutter that is not suited to the 47mm XL. That’s too bad.