Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographing on the side of the road.

2 Bit Hack

Re: Photographing on the side of the road.

I think it is a matter of getting not only all the way off the pavement but also off the shoulder. I seem to have read/heard that somewhere.

For years I have told myself, "Self, do not slam on those brakes to get that shot. The ditch is just not worth the encounter." Yes, I still have to tell myself this. I almost dropped the nose of the truck off into a culvert outside Farmington, NM. It is hard to remember that by the time I got off the road I had already passed the viewpoint that caught my attention. If weather or rapidly waning or waxing light were involved it was already too late. It is hard to talk one's self out of such foolishness.

The cone is a grand idea.
    Regards

Marty

Eric Woodbury

A friend of mine photo'd the freeways and interstate interchanges in downtown LA. Talk about a lot of cars. You are suppose to get a permit and rent a highway patrolman. Instead, my friend used a white pickup truck with yellow flashing lights on top. Orange cones. Orange vest. "Survey Crew" sign. Worked.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Drew Wiley

Depends on the road. Never dirt roads - too much dust risk if someone does drive by. Never without safe turnout space. And now around here, drunks aren't the only ones swerving with deadly results. Statistically, cell phone distraction and legalized pot are now even worse. When in doubt, I shoot quickie MF gear.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A few years back I photographed a spectacular grand landscape in Santa Clara County that could only be accessed from a steep winding mountain road where parking anywhere was illegal. At the time I was driving a '02 Toyota Echo which is a small but surprisingly roomy compact and finally came upon a spot a quarter of a mile or so (downhill of course) where I could just get the car off the asphalt (illegally) and hurried back uphill to jump the fence (trespassing on county property prohibited) where a machete would have been handy. I got a great shot with a Toyo 45cf (I wasn't shooting 8x10 back then) and the car was still there when I got back with no tickets on it. Contrast this with a trespassing ticket I got a few years earlier while photographing a reservoir in San Mateo county. When I got back to the car I found the San Mateo County Sheriff waiting who detained me until the San Francisco water board cop, sweating bullets looking for me, got back and issued me a citation. I had to go court on this one and the assigned judge (the traffic court commissioner but now part of the superior court when the municipal and superior court systems merged in California) had been trying to get me to appear on an old no proof of insurance ticket from years earlier. When I went to pay that ticket the court clerk handed me a dismissal instead so I ignored the judge's later attempts to get me to appear because he wouldn't have jurisdiction unless I entered an appearance. So I was fully resigned to him making up for that earlier bobo and throw the book at me for the trespassing and he called my name with a relish. But during the trial the county sheriff deputies testified that if it was up to them they wouldn't have issued a citation and I saw that the judge was looking at them when they made that statement and silently nodded in agreement. I ended up paying a fine - the minimal, the judge made pains to stress, allowable under the law.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Jumping fences is a good way to get shot. Last wk I pulled over in a very safe per traffic spot on a barely used road. But the locals deliberately left big holes in the fences so their vicious dogs could get out, which they instantly did. Don't blame them. Lowlifes are increasingly using country roads to dump truckloads of trash and unwanted furniture. But I moved on and got nice shots anyway.

I greatly dislike looking for images while driving. Finding areas to get out and walk around for a several hours, yes.

Now if I had a driver like Charis, and traffic was non-exisistant (could stop in the middle of the road for an hour), then I might change my mind. Oh, and a Guggy would be nice, too.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I prefer hiking for shots. But on road trips to and from such destinations, I'll pick the windiest quietest roads possible. But I grew up around ranchers whose favorite fence sign was, No Trespassing, Survivors will be Prosecuted - and they meant it! Now the proliferation of narco ag, esp illegally on public land, is just one more reason to be thoughtful. But every time I try to slip out this week, it starts raining like crazy. Did print some nice roadside shots yesterday, ironically including one of dumped junk. My main worry when taking it was having someone suspect me of dumping stuff too. So I made sure the camera tripod was obvious.

A cone is a great idea...although I think I will avoid roadsides.
    Last summer I was in northern Maine photographing on a very quiet road, as spot near a farm I had visited the previous day.
    I spent maybe an hour there, setting up a couple of shots.
    A lady pulled over and told me quite forcefully that I should move, she was probably right in saying so as she warned me a few accidents had occurred recently on that road.
    She told me logging trucks had crashed into a few Amish Wagons and I could be the next fatality.
    I think only two cars went by in that hour I was there, but I did not feel as comfortable being there as before
    Safety is definitely a concern with distracted drivers on the road today.
    I would have never thought the road I was on was dangerous as so few cars were present.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    I think it is a matter of getting not only all the way off the pavement but also off the shoulder. I seem to have read/heard that somewhere.

For years I have told myself, "Self, do not slam on those brakes to get that shot. The ditch is just not worth the encounter." Yes, I still have to tell myself this. I almost dropped the nose of the truck off into a culvert outside Farmington, NM. It is hard to remember that by the time I got off the road I had already passed the viewpoint that caught my attention. If weather or rapidly waning or waxing light were involved it was already too late. It is hard to talk one's self out of such foolishness.

The cone is a grand idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Safety is definitely a concern with distracted drivers on the road today.
    I would have never thought the road I was on was dangerous as so few cars were present.
    In rural Maine, people drive like they don't expect anyone else on the road because there is generally empty road. Distracted driving has made it worse.

I'd love to be able to park anywhere, but in the winter there is often no shoulder to park on because of snowbanks. And where we do park, we want to make sure it's not a surprise to drivers coming over a little hill or corner.

Foamer

I generally wear a yellow safety vest when alongside a road. (I photo trains at night.) It does seem to keep me safer, plus passers-by no longer call me in to the police. They think I work for the railroad.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UPgrumpy1M.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!