Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Paris next month. Is it worth to bring my Super Speed Graphic?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Going to Paris next month. Is it worth to bring my Super Speed Graphic?

Is it worth to bring my Super Speed Graphic to Paris next month? Will I be robbed? Can I stand in front of monuments and shoot, or will I be robbed? What about Lisbon in Portugal?
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 13-Mar-2018 at 10:34. Reason: Fixed ROBBED. Thanks Bob Salomon.

Re: Going to Paris next month. Is it worth to bring my Super Speed Graphic?

You will be using a camera that most people will think of as antique, or quaint. Like those used to make photographs of FDR and Truman. Definitely not a Leica digital. Worth nearly nothing at a pawn shop. So-- I think you will be safe. In 1974 I took an expensive Hasselblad to France, Greece, Spain, Italy, and Austria and was--and felt--quite safe. Even in Rome. Carried it in an unimpressive army 'surplus' shoulder bag. No brand names on it.

Have fun.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I would worry more about being robbed then being robed!
    But in 85 I was robbed of 2 Rollei 6000 mf camera’s plus lenses, 2 Rollei 3000 35mm camera’s plus lenses and a Linhof Technorama in France. If the opportunity presents itself anything can be stolen!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    I would worry more about being robbed then being robed!
    But in 85 I was robbed of 2 Rollei 6000 mf camera’s plus lenses, 2 Rollei 3000 35mm camera’s plus lenses and a Linhof Technorama in France. If the opportunity presents itself anything can be stolen!
    That's a lot of stuff to be carrying around. You must have had a big camera bag.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    That's a lot of stuff to be carrying around. You must have had a big camera bag.
    No, they broke into the trunk of our car parked underneath the city hall in Strasbourg.

I like to keep both hands free when in busy places, especially foreign cities, and some are here in USA.

Always have $50 US in small bills as mugger money. Drop it and run.

I see lot's of pickpockets in EU and London was the worst.

Try not to be a target. Buy postcards, a Pro shot those...

Good luck!

multiplex

i wouldn't worry about it. will you have a friend nearby sometimes that is helpful

The bigger headache is traveling with a sheet film camera, as the holders are heavy, you need to carry a changing bag, some empty film boxes, some full film boxes, tripod helps a lot etc, and trying to explain to customs not to open those boxes in roomlight (to name a few things)...

My thinking is if you don't have much time (a day or two) in cities, you don't really have time time to explore the place much, but if you have a week somewhere, you can spend a morning/day/afternoon out scouting locations with a roll or digital camera, then go back and spend quality time with LF...

Happy Trip!!!

Steve K

You mean, you would go to Paris and leave your camera at home? Why? Or bring a digital Nikon DSLR because you are afraid somebody might want to steal your old accordion camera? That could backfire.

I have used my 4x5 in weird parts of Paris, Rome, Phnom Penh, Quito and a lot of other places. I always felt safer with the big camera, because people see me as a curiosity rather than an european tourist with an expensive camera. They laugh and take snaps with their cell phones.

You can carry a light 4x5 with 15 holders and a light tripod all day if necessary. Don't leave your camera gear in a car, don't put your camera bag next to your chair in a restaurant, always keep it close and on watch.

I fully agree with this information: https://www.tripsavvy.com/paris-safety-tips-1618784

You will feel very safe in the EU because nobody brings firearms in the street. There were some terrorist attacks in Paris so there is plenty of police in any tuoristic place.

Of course in any aglomeration of tourists around the world there is pickpocketing, but nobody will place a gun in your head to take you super speed. You just need to keep an eye on your things, as everywhere.

Violent crime rates are fairly low here, homicides with firearms are x15 higher (population ponderated) in the USA than in France. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

If you are used to LA then you will feel very relaxed in Paris knowing that nobody brings a gun. It is true that they had that wave of terrorism until last year...

Lisbon is also safe, just following general common sense, and being aware to avoid pickpocketing as in any large city.

Everywhere tourists have more pickpocketing risk than locals, they are easily detected and exploited because usually they have travelling money in the wallet.