Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Develop 5x7 in a changing bag.

Re: Develop 5x7 in a changing bag.

Campy, if it's to much trouble to make your bathroom light-tight, develop film at night - just make sure that anyone else in the house / apartment knows not to turn on any lights until you give the go ahead. I used to go thru that when my kids were younger and still at home.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Yes, it will fog, the extent to which depending on how quickly you can get it into the stop bath. I'd personally redirect my focus on finding a way to darken a room more easily; it'll bring you more convenience in the long run. Developing in a changing bag sounds like a sure path to frustration, spills and scratched/damaged and fogged film.
    Will it fog if I do it in my basement and the film is only out of the bag for a couple of seconds until it hits the stop bath or does it have to fixed in total darkness?

I only have 2 film holders so the most I will be doing at one time would be 4 sheets at most. Let me ask a different way. If film is developed in total darkness and is exposed to very faint indirect light for a few seconds will it fog while transferring it to a stop bath?

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    It requires a lot of work for me to make a place light tight for developing 5x7. Is there any reason why I can't put a 5x7 tray in an 8x10 tray in case of spillage and develop and then take the film out and place in a tray of stop then fix while in a dark but not light tight room?
    Do it easier, just use a paper safe, (brands: kustom, premier, doran) this is some $20 used

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	175796

Have another tray with stop bath, when development finished just close lights, in total darkness move the sheet to the stop bath, wait some 15s and then you can open lights, development it's completely stoped (and newly exposed grains need induction time to start any development), you can fix also with lights open, no problem and you'll see fixer strength.

If you pick a 11x14 safe then you can hot glue some plastic sticks to make 2 separate areas, so you can cook two sheets at once, even with two separate development times (different N or different film) as you can close lights two times to move a shet from the safe to the stop bath.

You can fix with lights open, absolutely no problem, at least I do it always. Some say that fixing with lights open requires slightly more time, I don't think so, anyway as you see fixing, just measure the halide clearing time. Total fixing time should be twice the time it took to clear.

What would happen if with lights open you move the sheet from the paper safe to the stop bath ?

Will film take fog ? Just try it, take a 35mm non exposed film end, two samples and compare.

In theory those newly exposed silver crystals will need an additional "development induction time" before starting development, and stop bath should kill the "in emulsion" remaining developer before induction time acomplishes, so probably you should see no added fog, but just try it, as induction time may vary on exposure, and in this case it does not include the wetting.

Between here and there

I'd just scrounge up the money to buy a Jobo 28xx drum, a Durst Codrum or use the taco method in a Paterson three roll tank if the money is very tight. All of these are possible to load in a changing bag.

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I only have 2 film holders so the most I will be doing at one time would be 4 sheets at most. Let me ask a different way. If film is developed in total darkness and is exposed to very faint indirect light for a few seconds will it fog while transferring it to a stop bath?
    Probably. The fixer removes all remaining light sensitive material from the emulsion. Until the film has been in the fixer for a..."couple of minutes", it is still light sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    I'd just scrounge up the money to buy a Jobo 28xx drum, a Durst Codrum or use the taco method in a Paterson three roll tank if the money is very tight. All of these are possible to load in a changing bag.
    I do not think that a sheet of 5x7 will fit in any of those. The OP will want something like a Jobo 3006.

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I do not think that a sheet of 5x7 will fit in any of those. The OP will want something like a Jobo 3006.
    All of them are suggestions that I have actually used.

I have seen where film that has fallen out of a developing hanger into the developer in pro lab developing lines, and was found in the dev tank when the lights went on, was stop/fixed afterward, and the image did not fog, but got overdeveloped due to the longer dev time, but I would not count on this effect, as I have also seen that it is harder to fix/clear film that is exposed to light too soon... (And maybe a little extra base fog you might not want...)

Make your life easier by trying to set-up a dark area for processing, or try a tank/tube if a dark place cannot be found... Note that any process that involves too much handling while the film is in process invites more errors into the system (like scratching, temp control, fingerprints, etc), and just a headache to use...

Steve K

Make life easy for yourself , get a Paterson Orbital Processor .
    It's intended for prints , but with a very minor modification works well processing film .
    Good for 4 sheets of 5x4 in one go , 2 sheets of 7x5 or 1 sheet of 10x8 .

Have a look here for more information on useing one .
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...20orbital.html