Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Develop 5x7 in a changing bag.

Develop 5x7 in a changing bag.

It requires a lot of work for me to make a place light tight for developing 5x7. Is there any reason why I can't put a 5x7 tray in an 8x10 tray in case of spillage and develop and then take the film out and place in a tray of stop then fix while in a dark but not light tight room?

Re: Develop 5x7 in a changing bag.

I think I'd rather find a dark place. :-)

The main downside that I can think of is that I've always found that when I spend a lot of time with my hands in a changing bag the rising temperature eventually becomes unbearable. How will you control for that temperature change in the developer?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

It would only be for the development time.

Should work if you can control contamination and temperature. I would probably make a dark box and add some sleeves.

Hmmm, right off the top of my head..I would think moisture inside the bag would be a major problem.
    I suggest that you use a tube or a tank. A DIY tube could be fashioned out of ABS drain pipe from the hardware store.

Make something rigid out of a cardboard box using the arm holes from a changing bag.

Whoops -- what Jim said!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

If using a tube, doesn't the back of the film need to be exposed to the developer?

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    If using a tube, doesn't the back of the film need to be exposed to the developer?
    No. only the emulsion side. You keep it in the tube for developer, stop and fixer. After the fixer, you can take it out into the daylight and wash.
    Load film into the tube in your changing bag. Put the cap on and take take it into the bath room, close the door, stuff towels under the door, cover the windows, get in the shower and close the curtain...now, open the cap, pur in the developer, put the cap back on and you can go back into the light to agitate , rotate. The tube will float! This makes it super easy to rotate and keep the temp stable. Whn it is time to dump the developer and pour in the stop, go back into your makeshift dark room.

I've done this in hotel rooms...it works fine.

Good luck and have fun.

Will the film fog if I develop in a tray inside the changing bag and then remove the film and place it in the stop and fix trays in a dark but not light tight room? It would be much easier than having to go through the trouble of making a light tight room to develop 4 sheets.

Yes, it will fog, the extent to which depending on how quickly you can get it into the stop bath. I'd personally redirect my focus on finding a way to darken a room more easily; it'll bring you more convenience in the long run. Developing in a changing bag sounds like a sure path to frustration, spills and scratched/damaged and fogged film.