Thread: Epson 4800

Epson 4800

I have a brand new Epson 4800. My first few prints (on Enhanced Matte paper) have been under-saturated compared with prints of the same files from my Epson 2200. My monitor is calibrated. I am using the proper paper profile for my output profile in Photoshop Print With Preview, and the proper paper setting in the Epson 4800 Driver. Any suggestions as to which settings should be tweaked for better output? Thanks.

Lou Snitkoff

Epson 4800

Monochrome or color? If it is monochrome, try upping the dot gain.

Epson 4800

Also, take a look at the Luminous Landscape web site. The recent review may have some tips about image character and adjusting it.

Epson 4800

I don't know too much about this printer, but I saw a comparison between two premium luster prints, one from the 4000 and one from the 4800. It was the same image, each printed through a ColorBurst RIP optimized for that printer. (Not the ColroBurst RIP supplied with Epson printers, which doesn't support 3rd part profiles.) The saturation on both was good and about the same. But, the one printed on the 4800 had more life too it. It was more than a subtle difference.

A good RIP can improve your output. ColorBurst was recommended to me. Good RIP, and good support. It's a little expensive, though. Don't know about about whether a custom made profile would help.

For the above reason, don't get the Epson sponsored RIP from ColorBurst.

You might walk Epson Tech Support through your procedure, to see if there might be any gaps there, something that you're missing.