Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolving setup for short hikes

Re: Evolving setup for short hikes

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    ... I've been wondering if any one has tried to come up with "rubberized" feet for setting up on shelf rock or boulders? I've found the spikes to be great in soil or gravel, but that they skate a bit on our Thunderhead Sandstone here in the Smokies.
    https://www.camp-usa.com/product/ice...ike-protector/

Very cool, thanks! Even if they don't add to the coefficient of friction, they'll save wear and tear on my wand pockets (I usually switch out between carrying the tripod and using trekking poles, depending on terrain.)

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    Jason, didn't I see you with a golf bag strap setup?
    Did that for a while too. Technically not a golf bag strap, but same idea. It's easy to try. I made a sling like that the night before a 2-3 days of hiking on Monhegan out of necessity. It worked but I wanted something a little steadier.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Should make a passable dibble-bar as well... A question, though: I love my Ries J-series, but I've been wondering if any one has tried to come up with "rubberized" feet for setting up on shelf rock or boulders? I've found the spikes to be great in soil or gravel, but that they skate a bit on our Thunderhead Sandstone here in the Smokies.
    My A100 Ries comes with both spikes and rubber ends -- I am surprised the Junior does not. Photos of new Ries J100 show rubber feet.

Check your pod -- find the spikes, then look at the opposite end of the piece of wood they are on...it should have a rubber end. If not, order some from Ries.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    both spikes and rubber ends
    Vaughn, thanks--one section does have a hard Delrin cap, but I'm not sure if it's any "stickier" than the metal spike...much more friendly to your hardwood floors, though. FWIW, I usually just use the lower, spiked section while hiking along our streams, since it's usually the case you're trying to "peek under" the rhododendron rather than "over" brush as you might in a drier environment.

A new set of rubbers might be all you need, then. I need to sharpen my spikes -- after 20 years they are quite dull. I find that sharp spikes do a nice job on most rock...one must be careful on the polished granite, but the points do well on rougher rock surfaces.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Nice setup, the only scary thing is the location of the tripod head.

Before or after he sits down?

Drew Wiley

My smaller Ries has reversible lower leg sections with spikes on one end, rubber tips on the other. Convenient for hardwood floors, but doubt it would improve traction on sandstone. You might look into what kind of rubber is used for rock climbing shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    what kind of rubber is used for rock climbing shoes.
    It's actually wading boots that got me thinking along these lines--"studded" versions can get you into trouble on some substrates. At any rate, no doubt it's case of a solution that's looking for a problem, but if I find a field expedient approach that works I'll pass it on...

Drew Wiley

My own tripod spikes work just fine on sandstone. It's my own feet on slickrock I'm worried about sometime, even in Vibrams.