Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal bellows

Universal bellows

Anyone have experience with the bellows that have a short “bag” section in the front? I need to replace the bellows on my Ebony 4x5. Ebony is no more so I looked around and found that Custom Bellows in the UK can make a replacement in either configuration...with or without bag section. Any thoughts?

Photographer

Re: Universal bellows

Get the universal/bag bellows.
    Keith Pitman

Drew Wiley

My 4X5 Ebony has it. Works well with lenses 90mm to 360. Haven't tried anything shorter.

That used to be the way that Linhof made wide angle bellows for their Kardan cameras. We got so many calls from users who mounted them backwards that we finally got Linhof to change to just a bag. Guess we were not the only distributor complaining about that design!

Good Input and information, I do tend to use lenses in the 210-450 range as well and was a bit worried that there might be some bellows sag, but nobody has mentioned this so maybe it is a non issue. I will probably try the combination bellows just because is better than changing to a bag for one lens.....
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad . Marvin View Post
    Good Input and information, I do tend to use lenses in the 210-450 range as well and was a bit worried that there might be some bellows sag, but nobody has mentioned this so maybe it is a non issue. I will probably try the combination bellows just because is better than changing to a bag for one lens.....
    Thanks
    Linhof’s bag bellows is much bigger then the standards on a Kardan and are very slim, but they have a wire support in the middle of the bag. So, while it accommodates the widest possible lens, it stretches enough for a normal lenses for most applications.

My Wista SW short bellows is half pleats, half bag and takes lenses up to 210mm. I absolutely love it! It allows movements with shorter lenses (90mm, 75mm) that standard bellows restrict and get crimped on. When I get around to getting replacement bellows for my cameras, it'll definitely be the universal type.

I don't know the bellows draw on the Ebony you have, but the idea behind universal bellows is to have only a short section in the front as a bag, while the rest is normal accordion pleated bellows. For cameras with long bellows draw, the accordion part is simply longer. Bellows sag shouldn't be a problem any more than with a standard bellows if the design is right.

Best,

Doremus

It sounds like the universal type bellows will work better than what I was using, so I will have the new bellows made and let you know how it works out.
    Thanks for the info and advice.

I had Custom Bellows in the UK make me a bag bellows for my Technikarden 45S, and they did a good job mounting it onto the spare frames I sent them. I've since used this bellows a few times with wide angle lenses (75 or 90mm), but it would be easy enough to use it with my some of my other lenses up to 150mm or so.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Why don’t you ask Custom Bellows? It’s not their first rodeo and he can probably have a more intelligent conversation than we can.