Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

Re: What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post

Those of you who have found one, how did you manage to find one? They seem extremely rare and very few are willing to ship.

I've seen quite a few on Ebay. Almost all were pick up only. A few offered that the buyer could arrange for freight shipping.

Re: What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I've seen quite a few on Ebay. Almost all were pick up only. A few offered that the buyer could arrange for freight shipping.
    "Pick up only" can refer to the buyer arranging a shipper to go to the seller's place, pack and ship the item, either door-to-door or even by Greyhound if the buyer is near a terminal. I have shipped big items, including two studio stands that way and it went well.

Well, I owe you guys a big thanks. Since you provided me with the correct name for the thing, I tried the used store again and got an "OH! Is THAT what you want" and it turns out there was one behind a ceiling-high stack of boxes in the back room. Needless to say, it came home with me. I feel like I overpaid a little but I figure it was worth it for finding one quickly and locally.

It's a good thing I opted for the long wheelbase version of my van (over-the-shoulder selfie shot)!

It's in pretty good shape. It needs new felt on the table (BADLY) and the rear caster is missing. That's not to bad at all for finding one just 20 minutes away.

Aye, yer done good!

Ya, congratulations and my that is a tall lad. Very cool!

I've seen dozens of these. Never seen one that goes that high. We'll call it the Golden Gate model.

Basically, every town had a photography studio for about 100 years or more. Every small city had two. Every big city had 5. The all used these stands. There are a LOT out there, you just have to find them.

Yeah, honestly, I shorter/normal height one would work better for me but the tall one is what's available. Frankly, it'd be to my benefit to cut it down but I don't know if I could bring myself to do it. It'd make more sense to trade with someone who would actually want the tall one. The table is also larger than I require, but I figure that'll give me places to collect the accessories of shooting.

Speaking of which, this one kind of surprises me. There's 2 ways to tilt the table. First, there's the crank mechanism that tilts the table en masse. Then there's a second "top" to the table that raises up using the friction-locked runners you see at the sides. It can elevate the actual camera-bearing portion of the table an additional 90* beyond the pitch set by the crank adjustment. You could actually take a picture of your own feet sitting behind the stand with the combination of the two.

I don't have one to trade.

But before you cut that one, please contact me. Perhaps we can work something out.

I have 10 ft ceilings. It looks about 9 ft tall.

Thank you!

It's less, but not much less, than 8'. Probably 7.5' or so.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    It's less, but not much less, than 8'. Probably 7.5' or so.
    Then it should work inside most rooms.

Have fun!