Thread: How to stabilize the front standard of a linhof technika iii

How to stabilize the front standard of a linhof technika iii

New owner of a linhof technika III.
    The front standard clicks into place on the rail but it is not very rigid. Everything else is super solid!
    Am I missing a lock down lever somewhere?

If this is normal, is there some way to modify it to lock it in place?

Re: How to stabilize the front standard of a linhof technika iii

No, it needs service. Hopefully you don’t need parts. Linhof service in the US is Precision, Bob Watkins, in Skokie, IL. Give him a call.

On my old style Tek III, there is a lock to keep the FS in the upright position, but when you squeeze the buttons on the side to release, there are (about) 3 indents that the tilt will stop at, but not completely lock into (but a fairly sturdy stop)... It's enough to hold it at that tilt position (with spring pressure)...

I think on the later models there was a knob lock for the FS tilt positions...

It seems to not give enough choices at first, but the indents are at the practical positions for your applications (the rear tilt is continuous though)...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    On my old style Tek III, there is a lock to keep the FS in the upright position, but when you squeeze the buttons on the side to release, there are (about) 3 indents that the tilt will stop at, but not completely lock into (but a fairly sturdy stop)... It's enough to hold it at that tilt position (with spring pressure)...

I think on the later models there was a knob lock for the FS tilt positions...

It seems to not give enough choices at first, but the indents are at the practical positions for your applications (the rear tilt is continuous though)...

Steve K
    Aren’t you talking about the tilt stops for the bed and not the front standard? Linhof did not have forward lens board tilt on models earlier then the IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Aren’t you talking about the tilt stops for the bed and not the front standard? Linhof did not have forward lens board tilt on models earlier then the IV.
    No, you would drop the bed lowering stops to the bottom position, and the front standard would be tilted back until it stopped (to normal position)... Then you would tilt the FS forward to where you would have your tilt angle, but along the way there were (3?) indents that the tilt would sit in (with front tilt)...

This model is the old style (flat lensboard/bed) 1951/52 Tek III that had this...

It works, but they evolved improvements on later models (but I don't know when)...

Still great, solid camera, and mine still gets weekly hard use!!!

Steve K

Reading the OP again, on the rail was small triangular filed cut-outs for the FS to slide outward, but stop when the pointer pin release stop hit it and would lock there... These were factory set for the matched lenses/cams/focusing scales, but an old Linhof guide suggested that new cut-outs could be added with a small triangle file, but (even as a tech) I would send it to the service center Bob provided (with the lenses/cams/scales) to match up...

Steve K