Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

Way back in the day, studio portrait cameras were often used on platforms on wheels, rather than on tripods or modern studio stands. The wheeled platforms had a table you set the camera on and a crank would raise or lower the table along vertical posts. Usually, a second crank would tilt the table.

What the heck were these things called? I've spent way too long typing increasingly random phrases into google trying to find them. I finally got to "old camera floaty thing" and figured it was time to give up and ask you guys.

Re: What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

Try antique studio camera stand.

For instance: https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...w=1242&bih=579
    Last edited by mdarnton; 7-Mar-2018 at 06:05.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

multiplex

Re: What's the correct name for the big crank-up camera tables old studios used?

some were called "semi centennial stands"
    ... " the camera stand of the future ... "

http://tinyurl.com/cokdhop ( page 181 has everything you need as well as a sketch )
    in case you are afraid to go to google books

twelve reasons a professional photographer should have one.

first, because you can lower the camera within thirteen inches of the floor,
    this being lower than any other stand will admit of.

second, because you can raise the camera as high as you wish.

third, because it is the only camera stand using rubber wheels as casters,
    therefore it is perfectly noiseless.

fourth. because it has one of the best turning castors in use.

fifth, by the use of its coiling springs and key, you can make it counterbalance any weight of camera, from 8×10 to 14×17 inclusive.

sixth, because you can quickly adjust your camera up or down with perfect ease.

seventh, because it is very strong and rigid.

eighth, because it is simple in construction and will not get out of order.

ninth, because it is thoroughly made, of neat design, light with no heavy weights.
    it is an ornament to the studio.

tenth, because with ease of working you will make better work. you never look down upon the sitter, but squarely in the face.

eleventh, because it was invented by a practical photographer, and has been perfect in all its points.

twelfth, because every stand is warranted perfect in all respects.
    the stand when packed ready for shipment, weighs ninety-five pounds, and the price, boxed is twenty-five dollars

have fun !
    john

John, a great list. I fully agree with quibbles.

IMHO the Semi Centennial Stands were and still are the finest stand for studio portraiture. As they have 3 wheels, the 2 front are fixed with a single rear steering wheel, they drive quickly into position.

I had an Ansco version, which I sold for several reasons. Not enough room in my tiny studio and it would not hold my heavier cameras. Now I have room and wish I had it...

Deardorff and others also made this style stand. I yearn for a Deardorff model. A member here has one. http://dustyman.com/post/13190428152...ortrait-camera

I make do with my Deardorff Studio Stand and S11 which can do a little more. But never quickly. It can go all the way to the floor, by rotating the camera upside down, if tilted it touches the floor. Originally mine came with 20 ft tall posts, which gave it a lot of possibilities. I had to cut mine down.

Untitled by moe.randy, on Flickr

"Old camera floaty thing" didn't find anything? Google you must be slipping!
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    [...]Deardorff and others also made this style stand. I yearn for a Deardorff model. A member here has one. http://dustyman.com/post/13190428152...ortrait-camera
    I like the streamlined base that it cuts through the wind as we move it in place. I'll bet it helps a lot.

Funnily, until now I've never wanted to put a camera on one.

We had them in the studio at university and at that time I only put models on them.

Les

Just saw more modern 'floaty thing' at Harbor Freight (hydraulic lift table). Hey, it's relatively easy on the pocket and you can always put LF model on one :>).

Les

Studio stand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agfa_studio_5.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	175649

OK, I started the thread so I knew what search term to use to start searching for one for my studio now that I have a camera that would benefit from it.

Those of you who have found one, how did you manage to find one? They seem extremely rare and very few are willing to ship.