Thread: Jobo 3010 and 5x7 film ?

Jobo 3010 and 5x7 film ?

So I have a Jobo 3006 and a couple of 3010 drums. The 3006 is specifically for 5x7 and the 3010 is 4x5, but I can't understand why Jobo doesn't mention 5x7 for the 3010. I just put a sheet in and it fits fine (since depth is 5"). Is there any reason why one *wouldn't/couldn't* process 5x7 film in the 3010 ? Has anyone used their 3010 for 5x7 as well ?

tia
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: Jobo 3010 and 5x7 film ?

I haven't tried that specifically, but two things come to mind. The spacers that separate the 4x5 sheets could potentially cause a mark in the film. (Unlikely, but possible). And secondly, you would need to increase the minimum amount of solution you use to make sure that it covers the film. Expose a couple of sheets of film to Zone VI on a plain background and try it. We'd all like to know.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

won't the film overlap since you put it in lengthwise around in the tube?

you're jamming 7" length into a tube designed for 4 or 5"

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    won't the film overlap since you put it in lengthwise around in the tube?

you're jamming 7" length into a tube designed for 4 or 5"
    No, you use it with 5 sheets rather than 10; the wells are designed for a total length of 2 x 4 inches, so 7 inches is an easy fit in that respect. The main concern is the one mentioned by Michael - whether the small ribs that serve as dividers when you put two 4x5 sheets in each well might leave some mark on the film. Some users of the big 306x drums have reported trouble from the ribs in those drums when using pyro developers. But the divider ribs in the 3010 are shaped differently, the wells have a different shape overall and the flow patterns may well be different. I think one just has to run a test with one's chosen developer to see whether it will be OK.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH

my 3005 is one sheet per hole - 5 holes

so you can put TWO sheets of 4x5 into each hole - with a rib divider in each??

that makes sense

Hmmmm - yes..testing is in order

thing is - the Murphy's Law of Photography states: it usually makes no difference until you run THAT ONE SHOT that you really really want to come out great.. then the mark shows up

Yes, the 3010 has five wells that take two 4x5 sheets each. It's slightly fussier to load than the 3006, which takes six 4x5 or 5x7 and has no dividers, but other than that it works well.

well I guess I'm going yo test with some arista film vs the pricier kodak

yeah the ribs were what I thought *might* be an issue. So I'll photograph a completely flat scene (ie-wall) which should be the best way to test for evenness.

thanks everyone for the input
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I use my 3010 regularly with 5x7 and everything works as expected including with E6 film. You'll need to load the film exactly as Oren suggested.

Pali