Thread: Missing light trap in Expert 3005

Missing light trap in Expert 3005

I recently purchased an 3005 Expert Drum without knowing the light trap was missing. I was able to purchase the light trap funnel 03042 from CatLabs. The posts inside the lid fit perfectly on the new light trap/funnel. My question is how to glue them together. I have read that isarplast works well. Would a dab from a hot glue gun work as well? If anyone has any experience with using either method I would certainly love to hear your experiences.

Also, is there any potential problems with fogging from the through hole on the new light trap funnel. It seems to align with the precise center or dead zone between the five chambers. I originally processed some film not knowing the light trap funnel was missing and quickly realized because of my fogged film that some part was missing. Now I'm concerned that still may be an issue with the newly installed light trap.

I'll be processing on a Beseler roller base and adding chemistry while it's rotating on its side with a hose and funnel.

Thanks for any help!

Gary

Re: Missing light trap in Expert 3005

If you have some sheets of photopaper around, under safelights, stick some in each chamber, emulsion towards the center. A single sheet of 8x10 cut into five 2x8 sheets. Put a 2x8 in each tube -- keeping them towards the top where any light would hit. Put the top on and rotate it on the roller base in bright light...develop the sheets in a tray to check for light leaks.

I use my 3005 and 3006 the same way as you.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Jobo recommended Tester's model glue to me when I needed to repair a crack in one of my Expert drums.

Thanks so much for this advise. The few pictures I was able to find online of the inside of Expert lids clearly show there is no through hole. They seem to be capped in someway, unlike mine, which makes more sense as the chemistry flows out around the sides of the trap. I guess I could stopper mine and after glueing in place. Why would Catlabs sell a light trap that really is not. Maybe it works for some drums and not others?

I have three 3000 series caps. On all of them the light traps are press fitted onto 3 plastic studs which are melted to secure the light traps. See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside cap.jpg  

Gary, you need to plug that hole. Maybe cat labs has the plug ou need. It is just a plastic plug that you insert for a friction fit. The hole is for use with the 2500 series lids which have a tube that goes over the funnel part and acts a a light trap.

Perfect! That makes complete sense to me now. Thanks to everyone for my Jobo education. Here's a photo with the new trap resting on the posts. I'll plug the hole, glue and secure. I'll pass on contacting CatLABS. Their response times seem too long... Again, much appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	175740

Hello gary,
    You will need Jobo part, a piece like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	176138
    Of course, considering the trap is well and correctly glued in place.
    Sorry, do not know the numbe.
    Good luck.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Thanks, Thalmees.
    A bit of glue from a hot glue gun secured everything. I ended up using a black plastic capped cork stopper from a bottle of port, carved slightly for a tight fit. Now I guess I have to finish the bottle.