Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Kodak Master View - CAD Drawings?

Re: 8x10 Kodak Master View - CAD Drawings?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    There is a fair bit that is, knobs, gears and some of the basic metal parts. In my case the focus rack/guide and the bracket that connects the rear standard to the rack is really loose. Pretty unlikely those were off the shelf. Sounds like it's been a common issue. Would love to know the original tolerances. The way it connects I feel like it must have always had some play.
    When I got mine, a very clean and light usage version, it had many loose small screws. I blamed shipping vibration. Airplanes and trucks vibrate.

I replaced some with off the shelf McMaster Carr and tightened most.

It also has some thin spacers that could be missing from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    When I got mine, a very clean and light usage version, it had many loose small screws. I blamed shipping vibration. Airplanes and trucks vibrate.

I replaced some with off the shelf McMaster Carr and tightened most.

It also has some thin spacers that could be missing from yours.
    Mine is loose in the track where the bracket slides on the rail. I added some metal tape to build up the gears, kind of works. I think I can remake those two parts with a much tighter fit. Hoping that will solve the issue for me.
    Ryan Mills

For those you might find this in the future. The George Eastman Museum does not have the plans. I was told the plans and blueprints were tossed when they brought the building that housed them down. Patents would not have the level of detail needed. Sadly one more thing likely lost to time.
    Ryan Mills

The service manual does exist. Some KMV user/fan had posted a website devoted to the camera- I found it about ten years ago. That's where I found the manual and printed it out. Of course I can't recall the URL, and that site may no longer exist.
    I'd query the repair people- SKGrimes or Richard Ritter for starters. And perhaps Michael A. Smith will have that documentation. He and Paula were offering new lens boards to fit the KMV a few years back.

Ryan, you might have initiated an important moment in history. The KMV is so very good. I would like to believe that documenting its metrics could carry the KMV into the future for the rest of us.

I have too many 8x10, but no KMV. I have just made an offer one one which I will dissect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Looking for CAD drawings of a camera that's been out of production for well over fifty years... hmmm.
    Don't think it's something that rare... for example I made the drawings for CAMBO SC 8x10... this is because I'm making my own 810 and I just wanted to understand very well all design details of the SC, if he asked for the SC drawings I would have been able to help...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP32-20180307-235619.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	175629

Name:	SP32-20180307-235639.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	175630

Name:	SP32-20180307-235808.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	175631

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The service manual does exist. Some KMV user/fan had posted a website devoted to the camera- I found it about ten years ago. That's where I found the manual and printed it out. Of course I can't recall the URL, and that site may no longer exist.
    I'd query the repair people- SKGrimes or Richard Ritter for starters. And perhaps Michael A. Smith will have that documentation. He and Paula were offering new lens boards to fit the KMV a few years back.
    I do have the owner's manual and parts list. Sadly neither include mechanical drawings. I will have to ask around and see if anyone has a service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Don't think it's something that rare... for example I made the drawings for CAMBO SC 8x10... this is because I'm making my own 810 and I just wanted to understand very well all design details of the SC, if he asked for the SC drawings I would have been able to help...

Name:	SP32-20180307-235619.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	175629

Name:	SP32-20180307-235639.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	175630

Name:	SP32-20180307-235808.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	175631
    Looks like your doing exactly the same thing I am. I might be bias because I spend 8 hours a day in it but I love solidworks. You can build just about anything with it and is just so fast. As long as you have a good model to work with you can test fit everything. The KMV is such a simple camera, it wont take long and half the fastener parts I know I can get part files from mcmaster. There are only a few parts like the spring back that would be harder to reproduce accurately. One more thing the original blueprints would be great for.
    Ryan Mills

Ryan, you know, today we have those powerful tools that design and prototyping so fast... it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    The KMV is such a simple camera
    IMHO, the difficult thing is making a design simple while more functional, it only took some 6 hours to draw that SC back, but I learned more about the this kind of product than spending 6 days on it with a magnifier. In such a design there are a lot of well thinked details, it's difficult to imagine how many, and every detail has a deep motivation.

Sure that in the KMV there are also a lot of amazing practical details that are easy to overlook, a simple design always requires a good designer...

Greg, a belated thanks for putting up that site. Even inside the company, I could never have found those documents (not least because I hadn't known they existed). The KMV we had in our department was taken care of by the division maintenance shop- although we retired it when the bellows went. My own camera had been used less and didn't need help- but the docs were good to have.
    Ryan, best of luck with yours. I do miss my old one, although it found a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    There is no existing service manual, just the parts manual. I had the site dedicated to the camera and even used to make spare parts for them, but never the gears. A VP at Kodak put me in touch with someone in the company that knew the camera pretty well, and they sent me copies of the manual and parts list. They said that was all they ever had.
    Any chance you ever made the left and right brackets or the focus rack (rack not the gears)? Hoping to find a drawing for either.
    Ryan Mills