Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ideal weight of the back pack to hike in Southern California?

Re: Ideal weight of the back pack to hike in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Figured these would be my last pair of hiking boots - ever, and when I die I'll be burned and ground to ashes and buried in them!
    Ha, same thing happened to me when I got a 6000 cu in pack this past winter and realized that, hey, I'm never going to buy that big a pack again...

Drew, thanks for the info--I've been very happy with the Esatto's I bought when the company was just being started by the original owner (a refugee from Nike, if I recall.) Hopefully the company remains as good to work with.

Ideal weight of the back pack to hike in Southern California?

Funny story about boots:

I forget the brand, but 15 years ago I had very nice hiking boots that I had broke in for a long trek through Kings Canyon area. It was going to be over sawtooth pass and then sort of all over the place behind there before completing the loop back to the starting point over (I forget the name of the return pass, but it was above a larger lake which was a popular day-hike destination and camping spot).

We drove from Ridgecrest to Visalia the day before. That evening, a final check revealed that I had forgotten my damned boots! And I was only wearing cheap flip flops for the drive over.

In desperation, we went to the local Walmart -- the only place open at that time of day -- and I bought a $15 pair of cheap ankle-high "Sam's Choice" hiking boots which were all they had.

I dreamed of full-foot blisters that night.

But much to my surprise, while they weren't exactly like gliding on air, these unbroken $15 walmart specials worked just fine! Never wore them again for such an occasion, but I still have them.

Now I use Danners, which are perfect for hiking in the Northeast.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Funny story about boots:

Now I use Danners, which are perfect for hiking in the Northeast.
    I'm another Danner fan. I've been wearing a pair of Danner winter hunting boots for over a dozen years now. They are relatively light but have 400gm Thinsulate, GoreTex, and an air bob sole (great in the snow.) They are comfortable from about 25 F down to about 10F below zero. (When colder I wear a pair of Baffin polar boots.) Last fall I bought a pair of Danner Vital boots which weigh about 2.5 pounds. They're very flexible, light, and have great traction. I wore them during pheasant season late fall into early winter. My summer hiking boots are actually Merrell trail shoes. Very sturdy but still pretty light. My favorite all around socks are from Smart Wool. Socks are probably the single most important thing to prevent blisters.

http://www.danner.com/men/hunt/vital-8-brown.html

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

You might get a set of Mido Cut Film holders and cut more weight while carrying more sheets of loaded film.

They take some practice to get loading down but when they work they are very nice to have.

Six of them about the same thickness as a normal 4x5 film holder. The very thin holders insert into a holder/shell and operate much like readyloads.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Not photography, but since the thread moved on to boots, and to us Northeasterners, Limmer Boots are the Rolls-Royces, some of you may enjoy this article: https://gearpatrol.com/2018/01/17/pr...-hiking-boots/. I still remember visiting the Limmers in the late 60's. Our friend and driver, who knew the color of the Limmer Barn we were looking for, had one short-coming: he was red/green color-blind, so it took us a bit longer to find the green barn ...

I met Peter Sr. back in 1968 - but it would be many years until I’d finally ordered a pair. I do have a Limmer story - and I’ll try to keep it short, especially as this thread seems to have been hijacked.

My first photography assignment, at age 15 (1970), was to photograph the Dartmouth Winter Outward Bound program…headed up by Willem Lange, now a well-known local author/storyteller, radio and tv personality, and carpenter. Will wanted me to create a multi-projector presentation to publicize the program.

One of the OB program instructors was Willi Unsoeld - who, with Tom Hornbein, had pioneered a new route up the west ridge of Mt. Everest, in 1967. Willi was (he is now deceased) both a force of nature and a gentle soul…and kept us up for hours around the old Dartmouth Ravine Lodge’s huge roaring hearth with stories of his mountaineering exploits. During one of these sessions he removed his boots and socks, and allowed us to examine his feet, which (on Everest) had lost all but one toe!

Fast forward to 2012…my wife Marlene and myself were over at Peter Limmer’s getting our initial foot measurements - when we started to chat about Willi Unsoeld. At some point, Peter Limmer got up, disappeared for into his workshop, returned, and without a word - placed in my hand a curiously proportioned lump of plaster…Willi Unsoeld’s left foot!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Wow from packs to boots! Is the OP even reading this?

Drew Wiley

Boots are even more relevant than packs! And it's what beginning bsckpackers most often overlook the importance of. I won't even allow people to accompany me on extended trips wearing those glorified tennis shoes that are now sold for casual hiking - way to easy to get frostbitten and stranded in even a mild snowstorm, or twist an ankle, or get jabbed by a cactus. Seen it all.

Drew Wiley

John - my uncle was the first engineer sent by the US into Nepal, and had the only serious helicopter in the country back then, and was the one who evacuated those climbers from the glacier once they came down the summit of Everest. But he never forgave National Geo, because they never repaid the fuel bill. I've had certain high altitude legends among my cronies too, and piles of ropes and ice gear all over my house. Now cats serve the purpose of keeping everything messy.

I would avoid using a photo backpack. They include so much padding everywhere, they're heavy. I have a largish backpack with a piece of inserted foam. The sides are cloth with no padding. I've cut holes in the foam for lenses, camera, etc. It's relatively lightweight, and it can handle large cameras.