Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: First scans with Epson V850

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Steven Ruttenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    346

    First scans with Epson V850

    These are wet mounted directly to the scanner glass using view scan. I don't like Silverfast as it only lets me save the files as 8 bit. Strange that it scans at 16 bit a channel (48 bit) but then converts to 8 bits a channel. I haven't really played with the Epson software yet. I also just ordered the dry/wet scan set u from Better Scanning. I am going to try using the ANR glass in place of the optical mylar when mounting directly to the scanner glass. If it works that is one less consumable I might need to buy. I am also going to try using the Better Scanning system and see if focus can be improved, that way less chance of damaging scanner glass if I can achieve better focus, but so far, what I have seen, mounting directly to the scanner glass is the best.

    The first shot is from the Painted Desert in AZ. First ever 4x5. Should have been in landscape orientation though. Second is a b/w night shot of a building in Holbrook, AZ from the same trip as Painted Desert. 4-5 minute exposure on iLford D100. Should have been a 1 hour and 5 minute exposure, but this seems to work nicely. The Painted Desert is shot with Extar 100 and a 3 stop grad nd. Probably didn't need the filter though as this was mid-day and the difference between sky and foreground was 0 stops. Chamonix 45H-1. Don't remember lens used or if used any tilt for landscape one. No tilt for b/w.

    More practicing to do, which is the best part of photography, the practice.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-03-03-Young_Building_BW_201705_Wetscan_Direct_0003.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	175568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-03-03-Painted_Desert_201705_Wetscan_Direct_Working_0001.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	175569

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Doncaster UK
    Posts
    438

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I am going to try using the ANR glass in place of the optical mylar when mounting directly to the scanner glass
    How do you plan to make this work. Are you going to place the ANR glass directly onto of the negative smeared with mounting fluid ?

  3. #3
    Steven Ruttenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    346

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    How do you plan to make this work. Are you going to place the ANR glass directly onto of the negative smeared with mounting fluid ?
    That is the plan, to place directly on the negative with fluid. Ie, the glass replaces the mylar. My only concern would be in separating the two since the glass is not flexible like the mylar.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Doncaster UK
    Posts
    438

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    That is the plan, to place directly on the negative with fluid. Ie, the glass replaces the mylar. My only concern would be in separating the two since the glass is not flexible like the mylar.
    When placing the ANR glass over the negative, how do you plan to remove any air bubbles since you cannot roll them out with the glass on-top

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    These are wet mounted directly to the scanner glass using view scan.
    For 4x5 it would be better using hoders, is you use the the area guide to scan on bed then the Low Res internal lens is used, while with 4x5 holders the High Res internal lens is used.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I don't like Silverfast as it only lets me save the files as 8 bit.
    Save it in TIFF format !

    if you save it in jpg format only 8 bits per chanel are saved.

  6. #6
    Steven Ruttenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    346

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    For 4x5 it would be better using hoders, is you use the the area guide to scan on bed then the Low Res internal lens is used, while with 4x5 holders the High Res internal lens is used.

    Interesting. Have you seen the video by Aztec for wet scanning? they show where scanning directly on bed gives best results, but the Tim Layton comes up with different results. I will be doing some experimenting to see what works best for my scanner?

    I will check out the save options in SF SE 8 that shipped with scanner, but I did not see any option for saving in 48 bit except for HDR and HDRi, only option it afforded was 48 to 24. I will revisit when I am back in town.


    Save it in TIFF format !

    if you save it in jpg format only 8 bits per chanel are saved.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    only option it afforded was 48 to 24
    48bit is 16bit x 3 channels ; 24bit is 8bit x 3 channels...

    IMHO for negative film you can use any software, but with velvia/provia you may want a soft featuring Multi-Exposure in case that you have deep shadows and you want to recover it

    For 8x10 you'll have to do it "on bed", no other choice, then wet scanning solves the newton rings, but by placing emulsion side to the glass it also works.

    For 4x5 IMHO best way is holders, the wet mounting is good if dust or scracthes are there, but you have to control dust with an HEPA air purifier, and scratches by careful process...

    Wet mounting film may be good sometimes, but it's also a pain.

  8. #8
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    91

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    48bit is 16bit x 3 channels ; 24bit is 8bit x 3 channels...

    IMHO for negative film you can use any software, but with velvia/provia you may want a soft featuring Multi-Exposure in case that you have deep shadows and you want to recover it

    For 8x10 you'll have to do it "on bed", no other choice, then wet scanning solves the newton rings, but by placing emulsion side to the glass it also works.

    For 4x5 IMHO best way is holders, the wet mounting is good if dust or scracthes are there, but you have to control dust with an HEPA air purifier, and scratches by careful process...

    Wet mounting film may be good sometimes, but it's also a pain.
    How does multi exposure work? How will a second exposure allow more light to go through the shadow areas? Is the V850 light source adjustable?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    119

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How does multi exposure work? How will a second exposure allow more light to go through the shadow areas? Is the V850 light source adjustable?
    By varying the amount of time allowed for the CCD to collect photons (light) before the device is "reset" to take the next exposure.

  10. #10
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    91

    Re: First scans with Epson V850

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    By varying the amount of time allowed for the CCD to collect photons (light) before the device is "reset" to take the next exposure.
    Why not set the longest so you always catch the full amount in one scan? Isn't the unit calibrated by the manufacturer to catch that anyway? (the dmax). Just scan at the maximum potential, dmax, of the scanner and you'll get the shadows first scan. Why lower it to create extra scans?

Similar Threads

  1. Epson V850: better optics, *really*?
    By sharding in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2017, 12:54
  2. Epson V850-Epson V800, what is the next step up.
    By Smorton in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 1-Jul-2016, 10:31
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2015, 09:31
  4. Opinions/Experience thus far on the Epson V850?
    By Daniel Stone in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-May-2015, 16:03
  5. Epson V800 & V850. thoughts?
    By yuexiachou29 in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-Mar-2015, 11:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •